Asthma and Allergy Expert Forum
red rings around eyes

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Allergies, Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

red rings around eyes

Usually, if I drink alcohol I get a flushed face.  Having not drunk alcohol for a while, I was quite shocked after a small glass of beer, to find I had bright red circles around my eyes. What can be the cause of this, it looked awful.
Thank you
It is highly likely that this is a benign nuisance.  However flushing can be a sign of a genetic abnormality or a number of diseases.  Your having a history of “flushed face” and now “bright red circles” that could be a flushing variant, it would be wise for you to consult with your doctor.  The following statement is from the Cleveland Clinic regarding Flushing.  I suggest that you share it with your doctor.

Flushing Associated with Alcohol Intake
Asians with certain genotypes show extensive flushing in response to low doses of alcohol. They have been found to have higher plasma levels of acetaldehyde. This abnormality is probably related to a deficiency of an isoenzyme of liver aldehyde dehydrogenase. This population can be detected by using an ethanol patch test, which produces localized erythema. A special type of alcohol flush is also associated with chlorpropamide, the oral antihyperglycemic agent. Even small amounts of alcohol provoke intense flushing within a few minutes of ingestion. This flushing is not associated with sweating but, in some cases, tachycardia, tachypnea, and hypotension may be seen. The flush is mediated by elevated acetaldehyde plasma levels and possibly by the release of prostaglandins. Alcohol ingestion can also trigger flushing in those with carcinoid tumors, mastocytosis, medullary thyroid carcinoma, and certain lymphoid tumors.

Good luck
Thank you for the info, it was really helpfull,

Eileen