Asthma and Allergy Expert Forum
sever allergic reaction to dialating eye drops?
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Allergies, Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

sever allergic reaction to dialating eye drops?

Got my eyes diatated today. 10 mins after the drops were put in I was having trouble breathing then my heart rate and blood pressure went WY up, my body wouldnt stop shaking and I got a rash on y chest. Long story short the called some code and 7 drs and nurses rushed to my room took my pulse ect and slammed me with an epipen. No red eyes or swelling in eyes. Drs cant agree if it was the drops or somethin completley diff. Any ideas?
Related Discussions
242587_tn?1355427710
The  temporal relationship between the administration of a pupillary dilating agent and the onset of your symptoms ten minutes later strongly suggests a cause and effect relationship. One category of drugs used to dilate one’s pupils is called, beta-blockers of which a drug called Timolol is a prime example.  A notable side effect of this drug, when used to dilate the pupils is the induction of broncho-spasm, most likely to occur in persons with a history of asthma.

While the overwhelming of persons treated with this class of drugs will have no adverse reaction, some persons without a prior history of such or even no definite history of asthma can have severe reactions of the type you described, as well as anaphylaxis.  The incidence of such reactions is very low and, based once again on the information you provided, it is likely that your reactions could not have been predicted.  It is commendable that your doctors realized immediately what was happening and acted promptly to administer epinephrine, while the reaction was still responsive to treatment.  Without their actions, the outcome might well have been dire
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank