Asthma and Allergy Expert Forum
sinusitis and panic attacks?

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Allergies, Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

sinusitis and panic attacks?

Does anyone know whether sinusitis can trigger a panic attack?  I have been not very well for 10 weeks now it started with a panic attack,  I was not displaying any symptoms of sinus infection i was not aware that I had it, But 10 weeks later I have my MRI results and was told I have sinus infection and that it is worse in my left side.  but I have NO pressure pain around my eyes or nose, infact my sense of smell has improved, what i have had is pain in the back of my neck at the base of my head, which has now subsided and now just aches and I get werid crackling sensation in the back of my neck and aggitation, anixety, my ears feel full. I also feel constantly dizzy, no nausea with it and weakness which runs through my whole body, i will lay down and my body starts feeling really heavy and i feel so weak.  I just can't believe how i have felt for the past 10 weeks is all because of a sinus infection,  why would this all start with a panic attack?  can anyone help??
You ask, “Does anyone know whether sinusitis can trigger a panic attack?”

Just about anything that raises your stress level can trigger a panic attack, but not when the “anything”, in this case a sinus infection, is either asymptomatic or non-existent.  Given the 10 week hiatus, it is highly unlikely that the 2 are related.  I too, would hesitate to attribute some of your symptoms, such as your neck symptoms, to a sinus infection, especially one resulting in minimal typical symptoms, such as ear fullness.  The neck symptoms are much more likely to be from a musculoskeletal cause.  Dizziness, nausea and weakness can occur with sinusitis, especially with acute infectious sinusitis in the early stages.  In this instance the symptoms are usually accompanied by fever and are seldom anywhere close to 10 weeks in duration.  An exception, regarding duration, would be the circumstance of sinus infection with markedly impaired sinus drainage and this would be evident on a repeat magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) or CT scan of the sinuses.

Before attributing your symptoms to ongoing panic, however, I would want to be sure that the sinusitis has been adequately treated and begun to subside.  I would also want to know that your white blood count was normal and that one or more blood tests of inflammation, such as sedimentation rate, C-reactive protein, were negative.

Good luck.
1 Comment
A related discussion, can sinus congestion trigger a panic attack was started.