Asthma and Allergy Expert Forum
swelling/angioedema on bottoms of feet

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Allergies, Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

swelling/angioedema on bottoms of feet

I'm a healthy 18 year old male.  About a month ago I had swelling about the size of a half dollar on the bottom of both feet.  Red and just a bit itchy, but I could see and feel the swelling.  It went away after a few hours on its own.  Since then I have experienced swelling like this on the bottoms of my feet several times, once on the bottom of the inside of my hand (this was the largest swollen area I've had) and just now a new one today -  I woke up with my bottom lip swollen, just half of it.  I have eliminated pop and red bull, I thought I was swelling after I had that.  But the last few times I had the swelling I hadn't ingested those things.  Now I'm wondering if it had something to do with dust or mites because most of the time when I get this swelling its in the morning, after I slept over at a friends in the basement or on the floor, or on my couch in my downstairs.  I'm just so confused why this is happening !!  Bendryl does help it go away.  I've had this swelling maybe 8 times in the last month  
To:

This sounds like urticaria (hives) or angioedema.  The two are related and usually assumed to be the result of an allergic reaction.  The lesions can appear anywhere on the body, regardless of whether the allergen is inhaled or ingested or touched.  Lesions on the feet suggest direct contact with a causative agent while walking in your bare feet, indoors or outdoors.  This condition is not related in any way to dust or the house-dust mite.  Finding the cause often involves some personal sleuthing and is often a process of exclusion; excluding food, or contacts with known allergens, for example cat and dog dander.  Relief from Benadryl