Asthma and Allergy Expert Forum
throat gurgling

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Allergies, Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

throat gurgling
I am having dreadful trouble getting to sleep at night because of  mucus dripping down the back of my throat which makes an annoying gurgling sound and keeps me awake. I'm so tired from this constantly happening that I don't want to go to work, look awful and don't feel that I can breathe properly.My chest near the throat and breastbone is tight. I saw my GP and she gave me Nasonex and said to keep taking  antihistimines or Codral Cold tablets (night time ones)  I've been doing that for 2 weeks now and there has been absolutely no improvement. Apparently I snore as well Last week I was so tired I had three near misses in my car when I just didn't see the other cars that I nearly hit.  This is driving me crazy. I have become depressed about the state of my health, but all the doctor wants  to do is send me to a psychiatrist. I think I need an ear throat and nose specialist not a psychiatrist. What do you suggest?
You are right.  You do need consultation with an ENT specialist, and soon.  The snoring could be related to the postnasal drip but could also reflect a condition called obstructive sleep apnea (OSA).

Whether it is 1 or both of the above interfering with your sleep, your description of "three near misses in my car" is indicative of marked sleep deprivation, and is deeply troubling.  You should not drive your car again, until this problem is resolved.  This is a very serious matter.  In your present state, you are a hazard to yourself and others.

You should discuss the possibility of OSA with the ENT.  If he/she hesitates to attribute your sleep deprivation to the dripping mucus, you should request that your general practitioner (GP) refer you to a sleep specialist.  And, rest assured, that chronic sleep deprivation can cause significant depression.

Your GP may have a good reason to refer you to a psychiatrist but that reason is not to be found in what you have described.