Asthma and Allergy Expert Forum
unknown allergies

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Allergies, Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

unknown allergies

I have recently been to my allergy clinic as I had a nasty reaction to a quorn roast meal and another to a chinese curry followed by a danish pastry, I've also had milder reactions to a whole load of other foods inc red and white wine, hot cross buns, cakes, steak pie, chicken burger, vegi burger symptons range from intense itching sometimes with hives, stomache cramps, to wheezing, feeling faint, sickness and upset stomache pins and needles in mouth and throat lump in throat.
The allergy clinic have taken blood and are testing for mushroom, soya and lupin and issued me with Jext pens.  Last night we went out for a meal to celebrate my Son's 5th Birthday and I had American pancakes with butterscotch sauce for pudding, after eating one pancake I felt my lips and throat tingle it did get a bit worse and I took 2 anti-histamine tablets and waited it was an intense pins and needle type feeling with a lump in my throat, I was unsure of whether I should have used my Jext pen but wasn't really having difficulty breathing, it took about 3/4 hours to calm down enough that I could sleep.
What in the UK is Lupin used in? I can't find much information out only that it's not one of the allergens that has to be stated on food!

Thanks for any replies
Vicky
Tags: Lupin, mushroom, soya, quorn, Jext
I was unfamiliar with this allergen and did a Google search. The following website provides a lot of information and appears to be authoritative.  
http://whatallergy.com/2011-02/lupinallergy
I also did a Medline Search and found the following informative medical journal abstract.  I find the mention of cross sensitization with peanut allergy to be most interesting as it raises the question; if you are allergic to lupin, might you also be reacting to peanut?  Also of note is the discussion of lupin as a common component of flour.

Unique Identifier20701610
StatusMEDLINE
AuthorsSanz ML. de Las Marinas MD. Fernandez J. Gamboa PM.
Authors Full NameSanz, M L. de Las Marinas, M D. Fernandez, J. Gamboa, P M.
InstitutionDepartment of Allergology and Clinical Immunology, School of Medicine, University Clinic of Navarra, Pamplona, Spain. ***@****
TitleLupin allergy: a hidden killer in the home. [Review]
SourceClinical & Experimental Allergy. 40(10):1461-6, 2010 Oct.

Abstract This review addresses the problem of lupin sensitization in the home environment. We summarize the data currently available on allergy to lupin, which has become, in recent years, a hidden killer in our homes. Since 2006, when lupin was included in European regulations as a food whose presence must be declared, the situation may have changed. Nevertheless, we must take into account the possibility of undeclared allergenic ingredients or the presence of 'hidden' allergens, given that contamination during food production processes may be a great risk for sensitized individuals. Furthermore, the United States, Japan, Australia and New Zealand still do not include lupin among the ingredients that must be listed on foodstuff labelling. Our responsibility is to educate the public so that they are aware of the danger and look for lupin in the labels of products that run the risk of containing it. Lupin allergy can manifest itself in isolation or in parallel to peanut allergy. Identification of the proteins causing possible cross-reactivity is complicated, and new structural studies are needed. To date, it has not been possible to clearly identify the allergens responsible for isolated lupin sensitization in relation to parallel and/or cross-sensitization between lupin and peanut. Most of the allergenic proteins of lupin are alpha- and beta-conglutins, with a lesser presence of gamma- and delta-conglutins. A beta-conglutin corresponding to Lup an 1, with a sequence similar to Ara h 1, has been identified as a major allergen of lupin in patients with allergy following lupin ingestion. Copyright 2010 Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
Publication TypeJournal Article. Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't. Review.
Date Created20101012

Lupin
An annual or biennial leguminous plant of the genus Lupinus in the pea family. Many lupins are grown for their flowers, but the seeds of certain species, although bitter and toxic when fresh, can be treated to make them edible and then roasted for eating or for use as a coffee substitute.
Anissa Helou (1994) has described the lengthy preparation needed to make the seeds into a snack food in the Lebanon. She believes that this food has been part of the diet there since several centuries bc.
Since the discovery in the 1920s of low-alkaloid, ‘sweet’ lupin plants, cultivars have been developed whose seeds can be used without preliminary preparation. The Saccharatus group of Lupinus albus are outstanding in this respect. The cultivar Ultra in this group has been used to produce flour for making lupin pasta.
Toasted and salted seeds, especially of L. albus and L. mutabilis (Andean lupin or tarwi) are served as a snack food or appetizer. Tarwi seeds are remarkable for their high protein content (almost 50%) and are also the source of an oil which has culinary uses.
Contributors
Alan Davidson was a distinguished author and publisher, and one of the world's best-known writers on fish and fish cookery. In 1975 he retired early from the diplomatic service—after serving in, among other places, Washington, Egypt, Tunisia, and Laos, where he was British Ambassador—to pursue a fruitful second career as a food historian and food writer extraordinaire. Among his popular books are Seafood of South-East Asia, North Atlantic Seafood, and Mediterranean Seafood. In 2003, shortly before his death, he was awarded the Erasmus Prize for his contribution to European culture.
Reading
Helou, Anissa (1994), Lebanese Cuisine, London: Grub Street.
I assume that you are working with an Allergist with expertise and a special interest in food allergy.  If not, you might want to consider requesting a second opinion from such a specialist.

Good luck