Asthma and Allergy Expert Forum
weather changes and dizziness, blurred vision, chest pressure

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Allergies, Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

Help!  I live in Chicago area and for 3 years have been plagued by days of extreme sensitivity to weather changes.  It seems to occur about 2-3 days prior to storms and generally only in the colder temps.  I feel it coming on with a slight dizziness only to be nearly completely non-functional shortly - blurred vision (my eyes become slits), tingling in sinus area, dizziness to the point of diffculty standing and should not be driving.  It becomes difficult to think and feel a racing thruout my entire system.  Pressure in the chest, weak legs accompany this.  Can last several hours or nearly the entire day or several days in varying degrees.  Becomes extremely difficult to do my job! I have tried Sudafed which 2 years ago would help somewhat and I practically lived on it - continually over the allowed amount.  Three months ago I went to a local Ambutal become it was so intense.  Then to an ear,eyes,nose doctor - they did 3 hours of tests for balance, hearing and vision and I was abnormal on all - then sent for an MRI and nothing was found. I have been on Zyrtec and Allegra D and nothing works till the weather systems hits!  Anyone with anything like this and suggestions - I can't live like this!!
I had very similar symptoms last fall, to the point where I could not go out if it was raining outside. In addition to the blurry vision, dizziness (I felt drunk), I had tachycardia -which caused low blood pressure- and a stabbing pain my chest!  I also had episodes of intense joint pain. The numbness in my fingers that started back then is only now slowly getting better.

I've been checked for pretty much everything and the doctors haven't found anything causing the symptoms. They suspect it could be fibromyalgia, but that's one of those weird diagnosis that only come once they have checked everything and determined no other cause. Apparently this fibromyalgia can also cause "vasomotor rhinitis" which is basically allergy symptoms without the allergies.
Somethings that have helped me along the way:
-zyrtec at least 1.5 hours before going outside on a rainy day
-sleeping a lot, i mean A LOT

One thing you should check is whether you have any tooth infections. Really, if you can do it, I highly recommend getting x-rays of all your teeth. I suspect my whole episode was set off by 2 infected teeth (didn't even hurt, only discovered through x-rays). They somehow screwed up my immune system. Just 2 weeks ago my doctor discovered another one! I hope this one was caught in time.

Good luck, I hope you find what's causing all these symptoms you have.
I'm new to this forum lol...newbee. Anyway that happens to me but not at the degree you guys have , i get dizzy off balance feeling and i find swallowing alot helps. I get headaches , tired that sort of thing. I just deal with it as my symptoms are not as bad as yours.
good Luck
skipa