Makes sense to vacuum a HEPA filter ??
To alleviate convulsive coughing, I picked up a Honeywell HEPA filtering air purifier, model 17005 (http://www.kaz.com/kaz/store/ product/1b842d6748b8a42a28e5648c33a067f3 shows a similar model).  According to the vendor info, one cleans the HEPA filter by vacuuming it.  Presumably using a household vacuum cleaner (if you're using a HEPA vacuum, you're just moving the particulates from the air purifier into the vacuum).

Doesn't this defeat the whole purpose of purifying the air?  By vacuuming the HEPA filter, one is just spewing the particulates into the air again, hopefully to be captured by the HEPA filter again (except that you get the joy of breathing it while it is being recaptured).

I live in a highrise apartment building, in a region with serious winter weather.  Vacuuming it filter outside is not an option.  (This doesn't even take into account the fact that the typical household appliance is not meant to be operated outside).

Obviously, I must be missing something here.  It will soon be time to "clean" or replace the filter.  Has anyone else found a solution?
I've never used a hepa filter, but my pulmonary specialist did suggest to me to try to wear a dust mask while vacuuming, so I"m not breathing in all stirred up dust particles. And then she said to stay out of the house 30 minutes after vacuuming. I agree it doesn't sound right to vacuum the hepa filter clean, especially if your allergies are bad. Perhaps it is just better to buy a new filter and find out where you can dispose of the old one for recycling.
Thanks for sanity checking my take on it.