Asthma Community
Air Purifiers: Effectiveness

This patient support community is for discussions relating to asthma, asthma control, breathing difficulty, bronchodilators, children's asthma, drug allergies, exercise-induced asthma, house dust and indoor allergens, pets, school issues, and sports activity.

Air Purifiers: Effectiveness

Context for Question:  I am 54 and have asthma and my symptoms only appear in winter.  I live in a cold climate and need to keep windows closed during the winter.  I have been diagnosed as having an allergy to dogs, but I do have a dog.  I love the dog dearly and would not consider parting with her.  I am also allergic to dust mites, but I take reasonable measure to redress this.

Question:  How effective are air purifiers in reducing asthma symptoms?  Based on other reading, I suspect the correct answer is of this general character:  "While air purifiers can play a positive role in the treatment of asthma, it is very possible that use of an air purifier alone will not substantially reduce symptoms".  Well, I am willing to take the chance - if there is a "reasonable" chance that an air purifier will contribute to the reduction of symptoms, I am willing to spend the money.  I would appreciate any advice re the best "type" (technology) of purifier to get.  I would imagine that, in general, "you get what you pay for" and that a cheap purifier is not likely to help.  While I certainly appreciate any anecdotal evidence, I am particularly interested in more "scientific" evidence re the effectiveness of these devices.
An interesting question. Most air purifiers will remove large particulate matter. It requires a HEPA filter to remove the really small stuff. But asthma may be triggered by odors and fumes from substances that are volatized in the air. Only an activated charcoal filter can absorb such fumes...and not all of them.