Asthma Community
Albuterol-Ipratropium and Nebulizer

This patient support community is for discussions relating to asthma, asthma control, breathing difficulty, bronchodilators, children's asthma, drug allergies, exercise-induced asthma, house dust and indoor allergens, pets, school issues, and sports activity.

Albuterol-Ipratropium and Nebulizer

Hi, I am new here and was recently diagnosed with asthma (at 55 years old). I started on Pro-Air, it was a little help, went to Combivent, it helps quite a bit, but is terribly expensive. I purchased the Omron Portable Ultrasonic Nebulizer and am using the vials of Albuterol and Ipratropium. I can only use 1/2 vial because more than that speeds my heart up too much. Can I save the last 1/2 of the vial for later use? Does anybody know of a more affordable way to get the medicine I need? I am paying out of pocket and this economy gets harder every day it seems like. Thanks so much,
Debi
Yup. You can save it. The plastic containers it comes in should be secured in an upright position where dust won't settle on them.  The thing is that bacterial grows in the aerosolizer and it should be rinsed. If you leave fluid inside you can give yourself a lung infection. Try putting in a small amount and adding a bit of normal saline. There are many philosophies, but one protocol suggests albuterol should be used first and ipratropium five minutes later. Try the foradil (formoterol fumarate inhalation power). It too is expensive, but the company provides free samples.