Asthma Community
Asbestos and Asthma

This patient support community is for discussions relating to asthma, asthma control, breathing difficulty, bronchodilators, children's asthma, drug allergies, exercise-induced asthma, house dust and indoor allergens, pets, school issues, and sports activity.

Asbestos and Asthma

I have had problems with shortness of breath, cough and weezing.  I was resently diagonised with asthma, prior to this I had broncitus at least once a year.  I was exposed to asbestos in the military 20 year ago, could this have caused my current problems?
Tags: asbestos
i really dont have enough information here to help you effectively. how long have you had respiratory symptoms for? how did they evolve? how long were you exposed to asbestos for and how were you exposed to it? bronchitis is just a name given to an infection of the bronchail tubes and anyone can get it - its common. chronic bronchitis on the other hand is a specific diagnosis given to someone who has symptoms of bronchiths for greater than a 3 month period in 2 consecutive years. it is commonly associated with COPD and is seen in long term smokers.
asthma may well be an appropriate diagnosis based on your symptoms - does your wheexe and breathlessness respond to beta 2 agonists such as salbutamol?
Asbestosis does not commonly have cough as a feature. it is more shortnedd of breath on exertion.
if you provide more information i may be able to help you further.
billy
junior doc