Asthma Community
Asthma, flem(phlegm) & breathing

This patient support community is for discussions relating to asthma, asthma control, breathing difficulty, bronchodilators, children's asthma, drug allergies, exercise-induced asthma, house dust and indoor allergens, pets, school issues, and sports activity.

Asthma, flem(phlegm) & breathing

Hello, I've has asthma since my toddler stage; I am now 61.  Been in the ER twice because of congestion.  Taking prednisone and just when the fluid is clearing in my lungs a bad convulsive coughing attack caused me to tear what I believe are some of the intercostal muscles (between ribs)...now the fluid is building slowly because coughing it up is excruciating.  My question is, should I avoid food or drink?  It seems when I even have soup it ends up in flem (phlegm)?  The pain when trying to cough is a ten on a 1 - 10 and going back into the hospital is of no comfort.  They've done ekg's, xrays, etc.  Hopefull another asthmatic or one with a breathing disorder can give me some tips. Thank you.
Tags: Asthma, flem
Limiting the nutrition your body needs will cause you to take longer to clear out what ever is bothering your lungs.  

Eat lots of fruits and vegetables, sleep well and increase your water intake.  Vitamin D, omega 3's and B vitamins have anti-inflammatory properties and may help (although I'll admit they haven't helped me).  

I believe there are also muscous thinning drugs (like guaifensin or something like that) that have helped many people too.  

As long as there is no infection present on the x-ray and your peak flows are fine for lung volume, it is just a matter of finding out what is the cause of the phelgm and trying to eliminate it.  

GERD, sinus infections and allergies will all increase the phelgm production and irriate the asthma so it is worth while looking into each of those and if present, make sure they are being treated adequately.