Asthma Expert Forum
Asthma,Allergies or None of The Above

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

Asthma,Allergies or None of The Above

For the last month everytime I talk I cough.  The cough is a dry non productive cough that first starts to feel like a tickle in my throat.  I could probably deal with it if i didn't have to talk face to face with people during work but i do.  I not only have to talk face to face but I have to give care and help treat patients.  

The cough is not just when I talk.  It's all the time.  
Since you have noted asthma in the subject line, your cough may be a manifestation of sub-optimally controlled asthma.  One month's cough is generally considered acute, not chronic cough and the most common cause, viral pharyngeal/tracheal bronchitis.  Other causes of acute cough, often seen with chronic cough include gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) and postnasal drip, even with "dry cough".

Given that yours is most likely a self-limited cough that will resolve spontaneously, it would be reasonable to ask your doctor to prescribe an effective antitussive, given the usual caveats about the risks of addictive medicines.  This will almost certainly be short-term therapy to help you over this awkward situation and enable you to do your job.
Hi Cindy614

How are you now?

Your cough could be mainly due to two reasons--1)allergy 2) overuse of voice. There are several other causes for dry cough. Please do not ignore. Get a medical consultation as soon as possible. Allergic cough would need antihistaminics. Treatment of the other reason--due to overuse of voice--is simple--needs voice rest.Please take your doctor's advice.

Meanwhile you can try warm saline gargles and warm lemonade.

Best

Doctornee