Asthma Community
Asthma and Advair

This patient support community is for discussions relating to asthma, asthma control, breathing difficulty, bronchodilators, children's asthma, drug allergies, exercise-induced asthma, house dust and indoor allergens, pets, school issues, and sports activity.

Asthma and Advair

I've had Asthma for about 29 years. I'm 35 years old. For the past 10 years, i've been taking Advair (500). One inhalation in the morning, one at night. I have not experienced an Asthma attack in those 10 years.

So - over the TG break, i left my Advair inhaler at my parent's house. So - i have been without the Advair for 5 days now - have not taken it. And i have not had any kind of asthma attack, or trouble breathing. I don't think i'm cured or anything - but I feel this is a good sign. Should i switch up the medication to Flovent? From what i hear, it's safer for the long-term.

Any advice?
I would ask your doctor to switch you and give it a try. I would take it as a good sign too! I know my doctor wanted me to take symbicort which also has a black box warning, and I refused. I am taking singulair at night and have a rescue inhaler.  I wish they would come up with a safer maintenance inhaler. I have done some reading on nebulizing with ionized silver and am looking into this.
Make sure you contact your doctor before too long. You should have been weaned off the advair instead of quitting cold turkey I would think.