Asthma Community
Asthma and Electric Heating

This patient support community is for discussions relating to asthma, asthma control, breathing difficulty, bronchodilators, children's asthma, drug allergies, exercise-induced asthma, house dust and indoor allergens, pets, school issues, and sports activity.

Asthma and Electric Heating

Ive had Asthma since i can remember, although it has always been well controlled and i have never had a serious Asthma attack, as i teenager i did swimming, often, played lots of sports and managed my Asthma properly, all of which helped me to not suffer as bad with it as my parents do. However, since 18 i have been a light smoker, (i know the risks of this and this and do not need telling, but i feel i should point it out as it is an important factor).

I have recently moved to a flat which is heated solely by Electric Heaters, and whenever i use these for a period of longer than 15 minutes i get a slight sore throat/nose. If they are used for say... longer than 1 hour, i get deep pains in my lungs/throat and mucus. I need to cough but cant because of the pain, and the fact it leaves me out of breath as i cant breath in afterwards. Basically, im fine aslong as i dont properly cough, but the tickle in my throat and lung makes me want to cough. I also get symptoms of a cold for around 24 hours (aches,bunged up)

Is there a connection with the heating, or is it just coincidence?

Any idea's and thoughts welcome, i hate going to doctors as they always tell me "your chest infection is passed, and your Asthma is well controlled so there is no need for any medication, but would you liek to attend a smoking clinic", and im sick of it TBH!

I suspect that the heaters have accumulated crud on them. When they heat up they give off emissions that are affecting you. Also the heaters are drying the air, which may contribute to your problem.