Asthma Expert Forum
Asthma and medications

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

Asthma and medications
I was diagnoised with Adult Onset Asthma last year. My doctor has me on Advair 250/50, Singular 10mg, Xopenex inhaler and nebulizer. I also take metroporal ER 50mg for my blood pressure.  Last month he put me on Alprazolam to
help me with chest tightness and sleep. I have heard that the alprazolam is addictive and I don't want that to happen. I was also on Paxil for about 5 months and then got off of it due to weight gain. I had a horrible time getting off of that
medication. I am having tightness in my chest at night and I want to know of anything else I can do or take that would
help me to not be so anxious and to breathe better. I do not want to go back onto the Paxil, especially since I am finally losing the weight I had gained. My doctor does give me Prednizone and am on it for 2 more days. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am very frustrated and want to be back to my old self. Thanks for your help.
Given your concern about the alprazolam, you might want to ask your doctor about buspirone, as an alternative.  Most importantly, you and your doctors must determine if your nocturnal chest tightness is due to asthma or due to anxiety.  That way the treatment can be problem specific.  If the tightness proves to be nocturnal asthma, it would be wise to look to causes of that such as acid reflux, a sleep disorder such as obstructive sleep apnea or something to which you are allergic in your bedroom.

Good luck.
A related discussion, asthma was started.