Asthma Community
Asthma attack/bad reaction to MMR vaccine ..

This patient support community is for discussions relating to asthma, asthma control, breathing difficulty, bronchodilators, children's asthma, drug allergies, exercise-induced asthma, house dust and indoor allergens, pets, school issues, and sports activity.

I got my MMR vaccine tuesday october 13th at apprx. 11h30.  A few minutes later I had trouble breathing, but I didn't think anything of it since I have bad asthma and I often have trouble inhaling.  But after supper (around 530) I had bad nausea, I just thought it was something in the food or something.  So I went to bed.  Next morning, I wasn't better, same thing ... Then thursday, I had severe nausea, severe shortness of breath.  I had to get out of class a couple of times to take my inhaler as it was getting very hard to take in a breath.  Then came the next morning .... I woke up at like 5 cuz I was having trouble breathing, I stood up and had to sit down right after due to SEVERE dizziness.  It went on until sunday.  I don't know wether it was an allergic reaction or just a bad reaction to the vaccine.  I am 17 years old, female.

Is it possible my asthma caused a reaction like that ? (ps. I had to double my puffers, and take my ventolin a lot more than I usually did)
I'm suppose to get the H1N1 vaccine november 3rd, so I was wondering if I should expect another reaction or?

Thank you.
I would talk to your doctor before getting H1N1 vaccine.  You need to research and find out if the vaccines are made in a similar fashion, it is possibly an allergic reaction to something in the vaccine.  

However the MMR vaccine I believe has a higher than average reaction rate so you probably won't react to other vaccines.  

If you decide to take the vaccine in november, tell the nurse giving you the vaccine that you might have reacted to the last vaccine and maybe stay a bit longer at the clinic to insure that you are okay.  And as I learned during one of my allergy shots, if you have chest tightness after a shot, tell the nurse/doctor because it gives you a couple days of hell if you don't.  :)

Good luck and try not to get too stressed out over it.  Also, if you are still doubling your puffer doses, it's another reason to go see your doctor.