Asthma Community
Breathing Exercises & Yoga Poll!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to asthma, asthma control, breathing difficulty, bronchodilators, children's asthma, drug allergies, exercise-induced asthma, house dust and indoor allergens, pets, school issues, and sports activity.

Breathing Exercises & Yoga Poll!!

Hi! I have been looking for some alternatives to controlling my asthma. I want to concentrate on getting away from the steriods that I have taken on and off my whole life. Have you tried any of the homeopathic or all natural ways to control your asthma? Did they work for you?
0%
 (0) 
Yoga
0%
 (0) 
Buteyko Breathing exercises
0 Members voted
No, but I have heard that relaxation is very helpful!  Before bed the sounds of the ocean or dolphins singning was recommended once.
I've tried some herbal remedies and some sort of worked but ad-vair works the best for me. I am some day going to take Buteyko classes and maybe yoga. I'm thinking that anything that helps with how you breath is worth a try. About the atenolol, it works great for slowing your heart rate down but if you  have circulation issues in your legs it will make it worse!
I too have to admit that Symbicort has worked the best for me. I used to do a lot of running, which does help strengthen the lungs. But running outside for me was only conducive in the summer time. The cold winter air made the whole exercise more burdensome then beneficial. I do more walking now, which is also very good. Relaxation I think is beneficial for those who have asthma that easily reacts to strong emotion. I've never had problems that way. I've also tried different supplements, but I think anyone on a healthy diet will feel better.
The Yog Pranayam (breathing exercises) will  help with asthma  control.
Build up your timing gradually. If you feel tired or dizzy, stop and resume after 1 minute.

Bhastrika - Take a long deep breath into the lungs(chest not tummy) via the nose and then completely breathe out through the nose. Duration upto 5 minutes.
Anulom Vilom –
Close your right nostril with thumb and deep breath-in through left nostril  
then – close left nostril with two fingers and breath-out through right nostril  
then -keeping the left nostril closed  deep breath-in through right nostril
then - close your right nostril with thumb and breath-out through left nostril.
This is one cycle of anulom vilom.
Repeat this cycle for 15 to 30  minutes twice a day.
You can do this before breakfast/lunch/dinner or before bedtime or in bed.Remember to take deep long breaths into the lungs.You can do this while sitting on floor or chair or lying in bed.

Start with a few minutes, and increase your timing gradually.
Note your progress  after 2 weeks,10 weeks and 4 months. You will start to have complete control over asthma after 4 months.This is a very gradual process, so be patient, and do the pranayam everyday and you will stay healthy.