Asthma Expert Forum
Breathing issues

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

Breathing issues

For about 5 months now I have problems breathing. The problems does not seems to come from my chest, as I took a X-ray and the doc said it was OK. Problem seems to be in the middle where my ribbs and breast bone join. That area is sensitive and feels swollen. I did smoke alot until recently and also use to drink about 3 to 4 drinks a day.

I also have a problem after meals, if I try to pass air, it is like regurgitating some of the food, even for an hour or two after a meal.

Any idea what might cause this problem and suggestions as to how I can make it stop.
Your description suggests that you are experiencing gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).  This would not show-up on an x-ray.  This could cause the pain you describe.  Reflux can often aggravate asthma and that could be your breathing problem.  But you and your doctor should not assume that asthma is the problem.  Shortness of breath can be caused by poor conditioning, by heart disease and/or by lung disease.  You may have to have your heart checked-out and have a simple breathing test called spirometry to evaluate how your lungs are working.

The normal chest x-ray is very reassuring and excludes a lot of serious diseases.