Asthma Community
Can I be a firefighter with asthma

This patient support community is for discussions relating to asthma, asthma control, breathing difficulty, bronchodilators, children's asthma, drug allergies, exercise-induced asthma, house dust and indoor allergens, pets, school issues, and sports activity.

Can I be a firefighter with asthma

Can I be a firefighter with asthma cause this is my dream

I'm not sure of the severity of your asthma, but I have pretty bad asthma and I work as a a fulltime firefighter/paramedic.  I was discouraged by my doctors, but this was my dream as well and I wasn't about to give it up.  I have learned to adapt and protect myself from smoke exposure.  My department bought me special mask that filters out smoke that I can wear when I don't have an air pak on.  

Good Luck to you!!

If I can be of any more help, please let me know
Thanks alot yah In the app it said nothing against people with asthma not like the army are navy but this is my dream so any tips  like workuts that can help me

Most fire departments require you to pass a physical agility test...check out this link below.  The CPAT is used by many fire departments to test candidates.  If they don't use this exact test, it will be similar.  This website seems to give some workout ideas as well as explain each station in the test.

Hope this helps

:)

http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/fire/cpathome.htm
You could certainly be a good paramedic, however I would under no circumstances permit you to work as a line firefighter. The air on the Scott packs don't last forever. Someday, some time, you will be placed in a position where you are the only person available to rescue someone and you won't be able to do it. You could be a good police officer with asthma, but smoke exposure is part and parcel of the firefighter's job. You might be able to conceal your disability and get on the job, but that would be very irresponsible.
I am going to school to be a firefighter and I am currently an explorer. All I want to do is be a firefighter, but I have asthma. What steps and actions can I take to be able to work? Do I need certain paperwork or guidelines to get the ok?