Asthma Community
Can I keep my dog ?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to asthma, asthma control, breathing difficulty, bronchodilators, children's asthma, drug allergies, exercise-induced asthma, house dust and indoor allergens, pets, school issues, and sports activity.

Can I keep my dog ?

I have had my dog for 2 years now.  A Shiba Inu, a smaller version of an Akita so he sheds moderately.   During the 2nd half of last winter I had a bad asthma attack , which I got treated with a nebulizer at the clinic and then advair at home for 2 weeks.   I am fine during the warm weather months (half of the year), but now I just had an attack this week and I only just closed the windows 2 weeks ago due to cold weather.  Went to clinic again for same treatment and I'm alright now.   I'm wondering if I can just stay on the advair for the cold (6) months when the dog and I are mainly indoors with windows shut and be alright with my asthma under control that way.   And then stop taking it (obviously ween off it) for the warmer 6 months when the fresh air removes my symptoms.   Is this a feasible plan or not ?
I have heard of that kind of a treatment plan.  It is common to start allergy meds aproximately 2 weeks before the patients allergy season hits.  It is also standared procedures to increase asthma controller meds during a patients allergy season.  

You could try some exposure reduction measures as well.  You should not allow the dog into your bed room.  Also, be sure to vacuum or sweep regularly.

Feel better.
Thanks so much bsmsl,
I am going to bathe him twice monthly from now on, (wearing a dust mask), damp mop (instead of vacuuming my wood floors - because I believe that was what helped to bring on this attack) and no he is not allowed in my bedroom.  
I'm hoping that these measures, while taking the advair, will remove the asthma symptoms.  
I just wonder and worry whether my endurance level on exertion will be compromised or not (I am physically active, gym, running around, etc.) and also what long-term negative effects taking this steroid medication may have.
If you find that you do experience difficulty breathing with exercise, you can use your rescue inhaler as a preventative treatment.  Take 2 - 3 puffs about 20 minutes before you begin exercising.  This does prevent people from having problems unless they are in a flare.  My friends usually will tone down their exercise routine accomodate the severity of the flare.