Asthma Community
Can't Breathe Out all the Way

This patient support community is for discussions relating to asthma, asthma control, breathing difficulty, bronchodilators, children's asthma, drug allergies, exercise-induced asthma, house dust and indoor allergens, pets, school issues, and sports activity.

Can't Breathe Out all the Way

For about 2 years now I have had difficulty breathing out all the way. It feels like I can breathe out 80% and then after that I have to push really hard to breath out more (it feels like REALLY dense phlegm) , so I just breath out only 80% which is enough for most day to day activities. Sometimes I will try to cough out the phlegm and it will get coughed up about halfway so I have to swallow it. When I do try to cough it up it gets A LOT worse and a tiny little itch in the back of my throat makes me want to keep on coughing. I would have "attacks" like this about once a day, now I have just taught myself to ignore that little itch, because after about 10 minutes of not coughing the itch goes away and my breathing goes back to how it used to be (80%). I have tried some over the counter allergy medicine thinking it might be allergies, because I do have seasonal allergies. However these haven't helped and I am pretty sure it is not allergies because it is always like this. When I cardio exercise while actually exercising it is only about 60% but after the exercise I have an attack.  Help would be greatly appreciated
You need to see a doctor.  It could be asthma and you should be tested and medicated if needed.

Believe me, it's a lot nicer being able to breathe properly.