Asthma Community
Cant Breathe even with inhaler

This patient support community is for discussions relating to asthma, asthma control, breathing difficulty, bronchodilators, children's asthma, drug allergies, exercise-induced asthma, house dust and indoor allergens, pets, school issues, and sports activity.

Cant Breathe even with inhaler

My question is to you guys does  what I talk about below  sound like asthma? does anyone else feel like this what helps? Can certain food or anything help me???

Hi my name in Nicole I am 26 years old not over weight and I never have smoked.  I always had slight trouble breathing even since I was very little.  It wasnt until about 2 years ago I took some breathing test and they told me I have asthma.  I am confused by this because I dont get attacks.  I just feel like all day I cant breathe and need to yawn or I need to take a deep nice relaxing breath in!!  But I just cant sometimes I can and its soo nice.  but then I can go days when I cant.  again no attacks just trouble breathing nicely and it can happen for a whole day just hours or weeks.  

The Doctor gave me an inhaler Proventil HFA I was told to use it as needed during the day 2 hits a min apart when I do need.  And I do try it from time to time BUT I dont feel like I can breathe more.  I feel kinda shaky from it but thats besides the whole question.  She also told me to take claritin and I do take that.  

any comments would help I feel like I am alone with this.  I just want to be healthy!!

thanks,

Nicole
Have they taken chest xrays? You may have something going on or not. It does sound as if you should get it checked out and discuss it with your doctor, If possible try to get a referral to a pulmonologist.
When I first was told it was asthma they did x rays then a c scan it was fine then they did the asthma test and said that's what it waS
Sorry that you heard not good. First of all you should take the specific examination of course. This will help to get you out of the trap. As far as i know that the inhaler will probably bring other kinds of disease. And that you said you can`t breath even with the inhaler, so i suggest that you think about the TCM treatment. Acupuncture can have a remarkable effect in stopping an acute asthma attack. Many patients experience immediate relief after an acupuncture treatment, feeling that the airway blockage was simply removed. Because bronchospasms result from over-stimulation of the parasympathetic nervous system, some traditional acupuncture points for "calming the spirit" are widely used for asthma.
Hope that i help.
To help with your breathing, do kapalbhati for 5 minutes and anulom vilom for 10 minutes, daily. Let me know how you feel after 21 days.

Build up your timing gradually.If you feel tired or dizzy, stop and resume after one minute.
Kapalbhati pranayam -(Do it before eating) Push air forcefully out through the nose about once per second. Stomach will itself go in(contract in). The breathing in(through the nose) will happen automatically. Establish a rhythm and do for 20 to 30 minutes twice a day. Children under 15 years – do 5 to 10 minutes twice a day.
Not for pregnant women. Seriously ill people do it gently.
Anulom Vilom pranayam –
Close your right nostril with thumb and deep breath-in through left nostril  
then – close left nostril with two fingers and breath-out through right nostril  
then -keeping the left nostril closed  deep breath-in through right nostril
then - close your right nostril with thumb and breath-out through left nostril.
This is one cycle of anulom vilom.
Repeat this cycle for 15 to 30  minutes twice a day.
Children under 15 years – do 5 to 10 minutes twice a day.
You can do this before breakfast/lunch/dinner or before bedtime or in bed.Remember to take deep long breaths into the lungs.You can do this while sitting on floor or chair or lying in bed.
August 25, 2011
if u were told u have asthma and meds r to help then use them and stop 2nd guessing;
maybe u don't know how to properly use the inhaler
maybe u don't know how to tell if the inhaler is empty
I realize this sounds beyond simplistic; so if u want help try this;
ANSWER THE 2 questions in detail showing that u actually know and understand and can explain to an new person how to properly do the above in 45 seconds or less
. . do that and I will gladly help u. and I have had Asthma for 50 yrs
hope u do better
Well I know my inhaler has 200 puffs in it. But I was told if I can shake it and hear it that some is in it. But I did just get a new one when I take it I let all my air out of my lungs and then I insert into my mouth and puff take a deep breath in and try and hold it for 10 seconds then I repeat after a min. I just feel like asthma comes in attacks not makes breathing hard for days at a time. It's not like an attack I just go for days not being able to breath well at all. It's weird it will just go away after a week or so then im fine f
make sure u r ALREADY INHALING when u press the canister. don't press and then inhale.
because Asthma is a disease of inflammation u will want to deal with that and the Provenal only deals with an immediate need.
the first line of defense in asthma is against the inflammation so u should be on a cortiosteroid inhaled and they come in plain and combo, get either one from dr.
if for any reason dr says no, GO GET A NEW DR
if u have insurance then great, if not u may need to buy online because some of these inhalers can cost $230 for a single canister and u can buy the same online for about 28, I can't put a website as it is considered advertising but u can google FORACORT and find online pharmacies, azmacort is a pure corticosteroid which u would use daily and then only use the provental as needed
good luck
Okay I will. So it's normal symptoms of asthma then?  I thought I was alone or had bad lungs :-)
You might suggest to your physician he try Foradil (formoterol fumarate) inhalation powder. This is a long-acting beta agonist, and a 12 mcg dose will last for 12 hours. It has the disadvantage of being slightly expensive. Some people have side effects from this, but I have experienced none whatsoever. Some medications have both a steroid plus formoterol. My feeling is to try the formoterol fumarate alone, and see if that solves the problem before going to the dual-medication formulas.
If you want to go the natural route, eat PINEAPPLE (bromalain) and Watermelon (Antioxidants).  It works for me better than any meds!
If you have a Health Food Store:
Lobelia for the asthma to clear out the inflammation in the body that causes asthma.
Really pineapple and watermelon. Does it have to be fresh pineapple or can it be canned I know fresh is better but it's a pain to cut it up but if it work I will do it
First did they give you an inhaler to help bring down inflammation such as flovent. Second try a different HFA inhaler my sister found that the method of distribution is best from Ventilin Our pulomologist said that he has had many patients complain that they do not get the relief they had before the inhalers were switched to HFA and he says Ventilin is the best for this. Also find yourself a good allergist/immunologist (preferably from a teaching hospital) to check for allergist he/she can also treat your asthma. Get your vit d levels checked my asthma was worse when my vit d level were-- they should be around 50-- so get your results do not take "it is in range the ranges starts too low-- around 30) Yes if you can see if you can find a good chiropractor.

I hope this helps,
achilles2
I also forgot to mention get a spacer-- I believe you need a prescription, as using this will help more medicine get into your lungs.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Cough, chest tightness and breathlessness the three symptoms mentioned by you are the triad of symptoms for Asthma. It is a disease affecting the lungs causing narrowing of the airways, usually due to an allergic reaction to triggering factors. Therapy is with bronchodilators which cause the airways to dilate. This is usually diagnosed with spirometry. The other causes could be due to Bronchitis or Cystic fibrosis.

If you have been diagnosed with Asthma, the spirometry may have indicated positive results. Use the inhalers as instructed for relief from symptoms. The progress is usually monitored with a spirometry. If symptoms are persistent then you can have your reevaluated for a change in medication or dosage.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
i have the Same problem as u but im scared to see a doctor could it be something serious....???...and i am only 16 years old...
Follow the natural techniques described in my post of August 25, 2011 to improve your breathing.
When I was diagnosed with asthma, I didn't really have "attacks."  I just coughed all day long and when I wasn't coughing I was short of breath.  At night, I'd wake up 6-8 times because I couldn't breathe.  I didn't know I was waking up because I couldn't breathe, I woke up extremely uncomfortable, but I couldn't identify the discomfort.  I'd always hang my head over the edge of the bed.  My spouse found that odd.  I thought that was normal.  It got to the point I was sleeping 15-16 hours at night, and was still dead tired during the day.  All I could think about was sleep.  I couldn't work any more.  It was really bad.  So, there you have it.  Asthma with no attacks.  

I went to an allergist because my spouse thought I was having allergy issues.  They tested me for asthma and told me I have asthma, which correlated to my symptoms.  I also had allergy testing and take allergy shots.  It took almost a year to get my asthma under control, but now it's pretty much controlled.  My doctor started with a conservative treatment and moved to less conservative treatments in a stepwise fashion.  Each doctor has their own method.

I wish you luck.  There are websites where you can learn how to use your inhaler properly.  I use Proventil HFA inhaler.  Here is the section that explains how to use it.  (http://www.spfiles.com/piproventilhfa.pdf#page=4).  

Good Luck!