Asthma Community
Chest congestion

This patient support community is for discussions relating to asthma, asthma control, breathing difficulty, bronchodilators, children's asthma, drug allergies, exercise-induced asthma, house dust and indoor allergens, pets, school issues, and sports activity.

Chest congestion

I'm a 47 year old female with asthma that is really under control. For about a year now I have had a cough and chest congestion, my doctor has switched my asthma medications several times thinking that might be the reason for my cough and congestion, she's tried many different types of allery medications, I have been to the pulmonologist, had a chest x-ray and nothing was found, but the cough and congestion I still have. My doctor referred me to an ent specialist who prescribed me Nexum because she thinks my cough and congestion may be related to acid reflux, I have been taking the Nexum for about 3 weeks now with no relieve. My cough produces real think mucus sometimes and other times it's not so thick. I'm sure I use Robitussin and Mucinex to much, but it helps to thin the mucus., sometimes the mucus is so thick it really chokes me to cough it up. I know my body naturally coughs to expel the mucus, so I think my problem is the mucus and not the cough. Please help my throat, chest and back are really sore from coughing so much.
Hi Brownie!

I hope you are getting some relief from your chest congestion. Mucus is like poison to the lungs and it must be released for both the sake of your health and your comfort!

A natural mucokinetic is found in salt therapy. You should either breathe in the steam from a saline solution with your head tented over a bowl (the economic alternative) or check out the salt pipe inhalers (dry salt inhalation therapy) at:

http://www.saltrocks.org

Either route you choose, the natural salt will help to move the mucus and kill bacterium and viruses which are usually the instigators for building up so much mucus in the lung lining, especially when infection is involved. Infection is often accompanied by inflammation which exacerbates this condition and makes the problem persistent and ongoing. Not to be gross, but just remember what the salt did to the slimy snail when those kids used to torture them? Same effect to the mucus in your chest....

All the Best,
Your Friend in Faith
The salt (saline) is a good idea. If you already have an electric albuterol inhaler, you can fill the little bowl with a bit of salt water, and turn on the machine just as if you were getting an albuterol treatment. Just remember that anything that goes in the lungs can cause infection so always boil the water (to sterilize it), add salt, and let it cool. As lonmg as the water is sterile repetive treatments of this nature will have no side effects.