Asthma Expert Forum
Consistent shortness of breath...asthma or ???

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

All,
    I am 30 years old and have asthma.  I am taking Ventolin, Singulair, and Advair 250/50. For the first 18 years of my life, I was on Theophylline.  After I was taken off of that, it seems like I have had issues ever since.  For the last few years, I have developed shortness of breath without hearing any wheezing.  Here is the weird thing:  when I exercise moderately, I don't struggle witih my shortness of breath.  It's only doing things like going up a flight of stairs, slight hills, etc.  It has gotten to the point where I feel short of breath when speaking a long sentence.  When I go up a short flight of steps, my heart is racing by the time I get to the top and have to catch my breath.  I had a stress test done a few months ago and everything came back fine.  I also had a PFT done about 6 months ago.  I don't recall the specific results, other than it said I was better in some numbers and worse in others.  I do remember the nurse saying that the number that talks about lung volume was really good?  I am going to see a pulmonologist at the end of this month but this has become very frustrating.  The fact of having SOB during routine tasks but not having a big issue exercising doesn't make sense to me and is hard to explain to my regular dx. I am concerned that I have something else going on with my lungs besides just asthma?  I have been on and off Singulair over the years...has anyone experienced SOB symptoms by going on Singulair?
A related discussion, Shortness of Breath on Singulair was started.