Asthma Expert Forum
Consistent shortness of breath...asthma or ???
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Consistent shortness of breath...asthma or ???

All,
    I am 30 years old and have asthma.  I am taking Ventolin, Singulair, and Advair 250/50. For the first 18 years of my life, I was on Theophylline.  After I was taken off of that, it seems like I have had issues ever since.  For the last few years, I have developed shortness of breath without hearing any wheezing.  Here is the weird thing:  when I exercise moderately, I don't struggle witih my shortness of breath.  It's only doing things like going up a flight of stairs, slight hills, etc.  It has gotten to the point where I feel short of breath when speaking a long sentence.  When I go up a short flight of steps, my heart is racing by the time I get to the top and have to catch my breath.  I had a stress test done a few months ago and everything came back fine.  I also had a PFT done about 6 months ago.  I don't recall the specific results, other than it said I was better in some numbers and worse in others.  I do remember the nurse saying that the number that talks about lung volume was really good?  I am going to see a pulmonologist at the end of this month but this has become very frustrating.  The fact of having SOB during routine tasks but not having a big issue exercising doesn't make sense to me and is hard to explain to my regular dx. I am concerned that I have something else going on with my lungs besides just asthma?  I have been on and off Singulair over the years...has anyone experienced SOB symptoms by going on Singulair?