Asthma Community
Constant Shortness Of Breath-Gasping

This patient support community is for discussions relating to asthma, asthma control, breathing difficulty, bronchodilators, children's asthma, drug allergies, exercise-induced asthma, house dust and indoor allergens, pets, school issues, and sports activity.

Constant Shortness Of Breath-Gasping

Hi,im a 22 year old male and i've been dealing with this constant shortness of breath for over 6-7 years now. I written on a forum about this before but just hadd to write one again. Its hard to say but doctors have no idea what's wrong with me.I see so mnay people dealing with this problem and it seems like theres no diagnosis. It just strated outta the blue I went to take a deep breath and i couldnt get that last bit of hair to satisfy the breath and this whole vicious cycle started. After that for about 2 years i was constantly taking deep breaths and not able to get a satisfied breath. I WAS CONSTANTLY YAWNING>SIGNING AND TAKIN UNSATISFIED DEEP BREATH ALL DAY LONG. I had reached the point when i was staying home in my bed just hoping i would die so it would stop.  After 2 years or so it seemed to just go away. It then came back right after i smoked a cigarette . Ever since then its been an ongoing struggle. I feel as if i have no control of my life, and im constantly thinking of my breathing. I feel hopeless and feel as if no one understands what im going through or that i have this disease that doctors cant detect. My doctor has put me on xanax for anxiety and it seemed to cut the edge off a lil but its still there. Its not as bad as when i first got it but it still disrupts my life. I can only work 2 days, i don't go to school  and i don't have much of a happy life .I've gone to cardiologist, ent's, gi's, pulmonary doctors. I've gone through xrays, PFT, EKG, stress tests, endoscopy . Only thing i have is GERD/LPR with sinsation of lump in throat and a very small irregular heart beat. I also am constantly clearing my throat.I heard that can be because of the Gerd/LPR. I just took a new PFT test and my breathing is normal. i did have a deviated septum but got that fixed..My lung specialist says its just all in my head and that i have this because ive become aware of my breathing pattern. i've used advair, singular and breathing pumps for asthma with no results. when im sitting or laying down its seems to be fine but when i stand up or move it kicks in more. I'm losing hope on what's going on with me. Does anyone have this?If so can anyone recommend anything else i should look for? the only thing i really want to do is a MRI or CT scan but doctors say 99 percent sure nothing will show.Has anyone heard of chronic hyperventilation syndrome? or phrenic nerve damage?cant shortness of breath and gerd be related if anyone can be of help please email me or post a message?
From the research I have done when I was looking into my breathing problems (for me it is reactive airways) I defintely looked in chronic hyperventilation and it sounds right.  

Check out www.breathing.com, lots of information about how to change your breathing patterns to make it healthy.
Welcome to our Asthma Community!

C~
You poor dear. My name is Rachel and i am 27 and all day i am gasping for breaths!

i totally understand how you feel...i can barely sit up to type this to you but i wanted you to know that i sympathize with you.

I feel like i cant do anything i am in bed all day!! except to go pee.

this is torture for me. I dont know if i have GERD but i am constantly clearing my throat and swallowing mucus

But i have not acid ...is there a form of GERD that has no acid?

if you have any more answers or anything i can do please tell me i am desperate and suffering.
It sounds like you may be clinically depressed. But I do know that yawning all the time is a part of hyperventillating. Apparently some people are so good at it that it is not obvious from just looking at the person. As a result of excessive breathing, your upsetting the pH level of your blood, and make you feel light headed and myriad of other symptoms. I suggest that you pick up some form of exercise. Often our bodies don't want to move when it is under stress, which can be anything from chronic disease to anxiety. But exercise will strengthen you mentally and physically. And if we're not healthy mentally, then we're not healthy physically. It goes together. Try to increase your work load, by slowly adding more hours to your work week. You will be amazed after sometime how you will feel. I've been through lots of stress in life, including having chronic disease, and the only way to keep yourself going is to put your life into perspective and do what is best. I would also recommend seeing a psychologist, who can help you with your breathing problems and gain your life back again. Wish you the best.