Asthma Community
Cough Variant Asthma, treatment not working

This patient support community is for discussions relating to asthma, asthma control, breathing difficulty, bronchodilators, children's asthma, drug allergies, exercise-induced asthma, house dust and indoor allergens, pets, school issues, and sports activity.

I was diagnosed with asthma when I was two years old. I am now 18, and my asthma has grown worse. Up until a few years ago, a Xopenex inhaler or nebulizer treatment would help me if I was having an attack, but now it only seems to make it worse. I have cough-variant asthma, and my cough is extremely loud and obnoxious, and will sometimes cause me chest pain. It's virtually ever-present at this point. I've noticed recently that if it's chilly out, I physically cannot take in enough air and it feels similar to hyperventilating.

I've gone to an allergist, a pulmonologist, and an ENT, but the treatments they've given me (tessalon pearls, prednisone [for four days], flovent, kapidex) have not helped in the slightest, and according to a ***** test, the only allergy I have is to mold.

I've been taking Ritalin and Concerta for ten years, and started taking Claritin D a little over a week ago (and it has not been helping). My nose is always slightly stuffy and I always feel like I have post-nasal drip.

Does anyone have any idea what I should do? No treatments are working, so I've basically trying to deal with not being able to breathe comfortably for the past few years, and it's getting pretty ridiculous at this point.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
You might need high dose inhaled steroids for a couple months or a longer/higher dose of prednisone to get you over the hump.  

I had a bad winter and it is took close to 4 months for my breathing to go back to normal.  

A combination inhaler with a steroid and beta agonist may also work well (one example is advair).  Keep going back to your lung specialist and tell him nothing is working, you may have to try different brands until you find something that works.  I've tried 3 different nasal sprays before we found one that worked and 4 different inhalers (including different combinations).