Asthma Community
Coughing and shortness of breath when lying down

This patient support community is for discussions relating to asthma, asthma control, breathing difficulty, bronchodilators, children's asthma, drug allergies, exercise-induced asthma, house dust and indoor allergens, pets, school issues, and sports activity.

Hi, I'm a 24 year old male. I noticed recently that when I lie down to sleep or nap I would cough and will experience shortness of breath but when I sit down or stand up, it stops. Sometimes it happens when I wake up instead. I would cough several times but no phlegm comes out. I have past cases of asthma and cocoa triggers it but I haven't taken anything with cocoa for a long time already and the last time I got an asthma attack was back in 2009. I also have a past case of Broncho-Pneumonia but that was more than 10 years ago when I was in grade school. Now I sleep sitting with a pillow on my back against the wall. It reduced the coughing but very uncomfortable. I also take anti-cough medications but seems to have no effect. I hope you can help me out with this problem. Thank you.
This is classic for acid reflux / GERD.

You need to see a doctor to get this under control.  It does cause asthma and esophageal erosions and even cancer risk.