Asthma Community
Coughing only during the day

This patient support community is for discussions relating to asthma, asthma control, breathing difficulty, bronchodilators, children's asthma, drug allergies, exercise-induced asthma, house dust and indoor allergens, pets, school issues, and sports activity.

Coughing only during the day

My son has asthma. He had rsv at 5 months old.  However, for the past 2 years he hasn't even been on any medication.  He played football last year and he needed his inhaler just twice all year and that was when it turned cold outside.  The past 3 and a half weeks have almost driven us crazy.  After 2 yrs of being basically symptom free he has coughed for over 3 weeks now.  Started as a small little cough.  Next day still a small cough but had trouble breathing at practice and needed an inhaler.  Took him to the dr the following day and his lungs sounded good.  Dr tried to trigger something by having him jog in the office for about 10 mins...he was fine.  Dr told me to give him claritin every day through fall and use the ventolin if he needed it sometimes.  2 days later took him to the dr for fever, cough and sore throat.  He had strep.  Called 2 days later and got steroids because the cough was worse. Back to the dr 6 days later because all symptoms were gone except this cough.  Dr said he heard a little crackling in one lung and thought we should treat for walking pneumonia.  Took z pak and prednisone for 5 more days.  Still no change.  Back to the Dr 4 days later and he sent us for a chest x ray. x ray was normal.  I went in 2 days ago wanting a referral to a pulmonologist and the Dr said he wants to try advair for a week first.  So my son is currently on Advair and Singulair and Ventolin as needed.  Nothing is changing.  He went to practice last night and couldn't even make it through the stretches.  He coughs all day.  No coughing when he is asleep.  He was healthy and active until 3 weeks ago!  He has even been running some 5k's with no troubles.  Any ideas?  None of these medicines seem to be doing anything.  I feel like we are wasting time.  I wonder if he could have aspirated something and his body is trying to get rid of it??  Any ideas are appreciated!
I forgot to say that my son is 10 yrs old
what about breathing treatments with albuteral morning and night Thats what I would try . My 8 yr old has same symptoms and usually the albuteral breathing treatments help