Asthma Community
Deep Breaths

This patient support community is for discussions relating to asthma, asthma control, breathing difficulty, bronchodilators, children's asthma, drug allergies, exercise-induced asthma, house dust and indoor allergens, pets, school issues, and sports activity.

Deep Breaths

I have 2 children 3 1/2 and 17 months, and I can remember when I was pregnant with my youngest I was always having a hard time catching my breath, or taking a deep breath.  When I had her it felt like at the moment she came out she let go of my lungs and I could breathe again.  A few months ago I started again with not being able to take a deep breath, and having the feeling to yawning to satisify the feeling.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it don't.  I have also noticed that if I am slouched I can't get a good breath, I have to be sitting up straight.  Does anyone have any suggestion of what could be wrong.  Other than this problem, I feel fine, I am what I call active, chasing 2 small kids around.  It comes and goes, but if I wake up having a hard time, it will be like that all day.  Other days I wake up fine and can breath fine all day.  Please any suggestions or concerns will help.  
Hi Mom!

I'm mom too and my daughter experiences this quite often. She even struggles to yawn and demands that there be no distractions (especially noise) b/c she actually has to concentrate to get a deep enough breath for her yawn to be satisfied!

She, of course, has acute asthma but has experienced quite a huge difference in relief as her lung capacity has been deepened and strengthened through regular daily maintenance with her salt pipe (all natural respiratory inhaler).

It seems too, according to your description, that you need to deepen the capacity of your lungs to take in more and sufficient amounts of air...

Please take care and let us know how you get on with any progress.

Your Friend in Faith
The two nostrils have different effects on the brain, and when breathing through one nostril is not enough(because of blockage), some problem is noticed.
Do this to balance your breathing and you will feel the positive benefits. If you feel tired or dizzy, stop and resume later.
Anulom Vilom –
Close your right nostril with thumb and deep breath-in through left nostril  
then – close left nostril with two fingers and breath-out through right nostril  
then -keeping the left nostril closed  deep breath-in through right nostril
then - close your right nostril with thumb and breath-out through left nostril.
This is one cycle of anulom vilom.
Repeat this cycle for 10 to 20  minutes twice a day(maximum 60 minutes in one day).
You can do this before breakfast/lunch/dinner or before bedtime or in bed.Remember to take deep long breaths into the lungs.You can do this while sitting on floor or chair or lying in bed.