Asthma Community
Expectorant of Mucolytic?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to asthma, asthma control, breathing difficulty, bronchodilators, children's asthma, drug allergies, exercise-induced asthma, house dust and indoor allergens, pets, school issues, and sports activity.

Expectorant of Mucolytic?

I've had asthma since I was little, and as far as I've gathered, expectorant is for non-asthmatic cough sufferers while mucolytics are for asthmatics.  Is this true?  What's confusing me though is why "guaifenesin", a component in one asthma pill I used to take, is used as an "expectorant", and the only OTC drug available for the purpose of easing the removal of phlegm here in the U.S.  In Europe as well as in other parts of the world, "carbocisteine" is available OTC.  Personally, I've found carbocisteine to work better than guaifenesin.