Asthma Expert Forum
Extreme Coughing Spells Every Morning

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

Extreme Coughing Spells Every Morning

I was diagnosed as having Asthma as a childen, but it became almost a non-issue by the time that I was grown and I am 39 now.  However, over the years, it has always without exception been extremely hard to get over colds often taking a month or even two to get over.  Since, I have been diagnosed with Chronic Bronchitis numerous times.  

Now the meat of the question.  In the last year I go through these coughing spells every morning without exception, that are productive, but it is continuous until I cough up a certain amount of phylem (sp).  I will also get this cough at other times, but not as frequently.  What can this be?  

There are several upper and lower airway problems that can cause what you are describing.  This could be asthma again; it is not uncommon for asthma to come back in adulthood.  It could be related to a chronic condition in your sinuses which is draining and irritating the lower airways.  Also it could be chronic bronchitis.  I would discuss the problem with your physician and evaluate the possible causes of these symptoms.  Some tests will need to be performed, but they will help in making the diagnosis.