Flare Management
I caught a cold about 2 weeks ago and I developed a sinus infection. I have a history of Asthma, High Blood Pressure, Sleep Apnea and Sero-Negative Rheumatoid Arthritis. My best peak flow is 500. I am a 56 year old woman and was not on any preventative asthma meds at the time of catching the cold and development of the sinus infection.
I am on Plaquenil 400mg Metoprolol Tartrate 50mg BID, Proventil HFA 2puffs every 4 hours, Flovent Diskus 250mcg (started one week ago), Nasonex, Augmentin 875 BID. I have had no problems with my cardio selective Beta Blocker prior to catching this cold. My peak flows are still in the High Yellow Zone and I am maxing out on my rescue inhaler and I haven't been on the Flonase long enough to provide control. But I am not wheezing...just stuck in the yellow zone anywhere from 360-390...after my rescue inhaler I can push it up to over 400 but it doesn't last for long. I am only slightly more winded with an occasional cough. My question is this....What do I do...When I go to my PCP they are unimpressed because I am not wheezing but I am in the Yellow Zone.....So then I visit my Pulmonologist that manages my Sleep Apnea and they say I should see another Pulmo Doc who manages the patients with Asthma, but I have to wait for an appointment....How do you get people to listen? I am in limbo here....So I keep taking my rescue inhaler... :(
I meant Flovent not Flonase
Hello, and welcome to MedHelp.

The best thing for an asthma flare is albuterol and lots of it (max dose every 3 - 4 hours according to prescription).  Prednesone will knock it out very quickly, but that is an evil drug which should only be used as a last resort.  The albuterol will mess with your BP though.  

Flovent takes about 2 weeks to reach full affectiveness.  So you may want to be patient with that and see how you feel in another week.  You might try taking some guiafenesen (plain Mucinex).  If there is any lingering congestion in your chest, that will help to clear it out.  Also, drink lots of water.

Most primary care doctors really don't understand asthma at all.  It is hard to get most of them to listen to you.  Yellow zone peak flow = agressive treatment.  

You may want to request seeing an allergist.  Most allergists treat asthma more effectively than any other type of doctor because most asthmatics also have allergies.  That might by a better option for you.

Take care and keep us posted.