Asthma Community
How Does Asthma Affect Running?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to asthma, asthma control, breathing difficulty, bronchodilators, children's asthma, drug allergies, exercise-induced asthma, house dust and indoor allergens, pets, school issues, and sports activity.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

How Does Asthma Affect Running?

I had asthma as a child, then it went away for a while and came back while I was in the Army.  When I wasn't having problems with asthma, I could run pretty fast over long distances.  Now, I'm not so fast...I'm pretty much a turtle, though I can run for long distances.  I don't seem to be getting much faster, even though I have a solid training plan. Does anyone know whether asthma can affect running performance even if there are no obvious breathing problems?  If it helps any, I take Symbicort everyday, and add Singulair for a while if I start having problems.  I use albuterol 10-15 minutes before each run.

Thank you.
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
My son has asthma and I have asthma. It never goes away. A doctor will tell u that. Asthma hasn't affected me or my sons life at all... my son is only 4 and takes adult meds n he can run fast thats all he ever does. I say as long as ur taken ur steroids then u should be gud!!!!
Blank

Hello there,

I have asthma too. Your question, does asthma affect running.
Well, speaking for myself, I get short of breath when I run. There are
alse degrees of asthma. I have what my doctor refers to as mild
asthma. Just wondering if you have discussed this with your family
doctor. I've given up running because I get short of breath. Instead
I take long walks. Both are exercise. Be well. Eve
Blank
evewisewoman, I see an allergist, and was told I have moderate persistent asthma, but it's pretty well-controlled with medication.  I also get allergy shots, which is helping a lot.  I think desi166 is right about the varying degrees of asthma.  I'm sure my asthma was just milder during the time I thought it had gone away.  Sometimes I get short of breath when I run, and I try to run through it, which causes me to have to slow down a lot.  When I think about it, that might be my problem.  I probably shouldn't try to run through it, I should just take the time to use my rescue inhaler so I can keep on with my normal pace.  That would probably have a better training effect.

Thanks for responding to my post :)  
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Asthma Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank