How long for prednisone to take effect?
I had a bad cold last week and it led to an asthma flare up.  I went to Doctor today and he put me on prednisone for the week.  I am supposed to do 40mg for 2 days, 30 for 2 days, 20 for 2 days, and 1 for 2 days.  I took my first dose today and wonder how long it takes for it to work?  I still don't feel great which could also be the cold I suppose.  Who gets a cold in the summer anyway?  Awful.
I'm with you - I HATE summer colds especially!  I'm sorry you're feeling poorly.

I can only speak from my own personal experience and unfortunately, I don't know that that is going to answer your question much, because as with any medication, it's effect can vary from person to person.  From my experience, however, it also depends on how much the asthma flare has "taken hold" - the longer I've put off going to the docs and getting the prednisone (I know, not a good thing to do), the longer it takes for it to really kick in and start helping.

I would say, though, that if you still don't feel any improvement by Tuesday morning (giving time for you to by that time to have taken 3 doses of it), I would most definitely at least call the doc and let him know.  It could be that he may want/need to up your dose a bit or even send you to get a "booster" dose through an IV - I've had to do that many times in the past - one dose of IV steroid as an outpatient and then continue with the oral prednisone.  The IV booster just kinda kick starts the whole process for me, I guess.

Out of curiosity, did he get a chest xray?  If not, and you're no better by like I said Tuesday, I'd also request he send you for one just to rule out a pneumonia, which could definitely cause a delay in the prednisone helping you.

Just keep in mind that you know your body better than anyone else and if you're not feeling that the prednisone is helping - or you get worse - do not hesitate to head to the nearest ER.

I hope you feel better soon!
Doctors prescribe prednisone pretty freely without thought to its serious side effects. It caused me lots of problems that took years to rectify.
40 mg or oral prednisone should start having a significant effect within an hour.
When I take prednisone for a flare, it starts working in a day, maybe two.  One time I got a tiny Medrol pack that didn't do anything.  I had to get more prednisone.