Is This Really Asthma?
I'm a 27 year old female never-smoker who has been having respiratory problems for the past 8 months. It began with trouble breathing in November and I was diagnosed with bronchitics and given a Z-Pack.  The symptoms lessend but never went away.  I went back to the doctor in January and had a positive blood test for walking pneumonia.  I also had a chest x-ray and the doctor didn't see anything concerning.  I did another round of antibiotics and my symptoms disappeared.  In late Februrary the symptoms were back and when I returned to the doctor they prescribed another Z-Pack, but I still had difficulty breathing.  I was also sent for spirometry and methacholine tests after which the doctor diagnosed me with a mild form of asthma.  I've been using a daily inhaler for the past two weeks, but my symptoms actually seem to be getting worse.  I feel like I just can't catch my breath.  This happens even when I'm at rest, especially in the evenings.  I was extremely scared when I was half asleep the other night and suddenly woke up and just couldn't breathe.  I literally just could not make myself take a breath.  I grabbed a rescue inhaler and that seemed to help, but I'm really worried it's something other than asthma.  I've never had breathing problems before I this November.  Does this sound typical of asthma symptoms?  Can it be triggered by a series of infections?  Any advice would be appreciated
I would look to allergies. And don't forget that antibiotics disturb your body chemistry. It depletes nutrients and encourages the growth of Candida albicans, a yeast/fungus. Your problem could also be caused by foods contaminated with pesticides and other toxins, or you may be eating a genetically modified food. These can cause serious allergies/asthma.

I would buy only organic foods and take some high-quality vitamins. See if that helps.
Asthma CAN develop after a respiratory infection.  Basically your immune system was over stimulated from the infection and refuses to calm down.

Your lungs are more sensitive overnight because of multiple factors so nightime symptoms are an indication of allergen exposure or undertreated asthma.  

I would buy a peak flow meter and keep track of it for a few weeks - a greater than 20% chance from morning to night is a indication that your current asthma treatment isn't working.  You should let your doctor know.
When you lie down your lungs flatten, in effect reducing lung capacity. (Notice that opera singers never lie down while singing.) That is one reason symptoms worsen when you go to bed.