Asthma Community
Is a "junky" congested cough typical of asthma?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to asthma, asthma control, breathing difficulty, bronchodilators, children's asthma, drug allergies, exercise-induced asthma, house dust and indoor allergens, pets, school issues, and sports activity.

My 3-yr-old daughter has been diagnsosed with asthma since 18 months of age.  Every time she gets a cold (since around age 18 mos) she has a severe, "junky" sounding cough that lasts at least a week or two.  She has been on oral steroids in the past for this and had walking pneumonia last month.  She has the cough again now, which is very congested sounding with some wheezing at times.  The cough usually accompanies a cold, but many times the cough begins without cold symptoms and she sometimes has noisy breathing at night, which sounds like wheezing.  She is on Pulmicort respules 2x/day and Albuterol as needed.  The cough and congestion always seems to continue although she is on the nebulizer meds.

Is this much congestion typical of asthma in children?  I have a 5-yr-old daughter who also has asthma and her cough is usually tight sounding, dry and hacking.  Could my 3-yr-old have something else going on that causes a lot of mucous production with wheezing, or could asthma have different symptoms in different children?  I am getting concerned of all the chest congestion, since she gets it frequently and it sounds so thick in her chest.  THANK YOU for any input!!  
When my son was that little, he was diagnosed with asthma...his cough was always dry and hacking unless he had some type of infection, which was pretty often. What does your doctor think about all of this...the junky sounding lungs and frequent infections? Infections tend to aggrevate the asthma from personal experience...If your daughter gets many infections, then maybe the doctor can run other tests to make sure that there aren't other underlying problems or disorders (such as immunological disorders for example). I pray that you get answers, Sunny