Asthma Community
Is it safe to take cough medicine with albuterol sulfate?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to asthma, asthma control, breathing difficulty, bronchodilators, children's asthma, drug allergies, exercise-induced asthma, house dust and indoor allergens, pets, school issues, and sports activity.

My 9 year old has been on the nebulizer for 24 hours taking both Albuterol Sulfate and Pulmicort.  This gives little relief to her cough.  Pedia Care has a Children's long acting cough medicine but warns not to take if you are on a drug containing MAIO.  Does anyone know if I can mix these drugs?

I don't belief there is any conflict in using Albuterol and Pulmicort along with cough medicine.  The MAOI that is listed on the cough medicine is actually a medication used to treat depression.  

You could check with your doctor or your pharmacist, but i would imagine the cough medicine would be ok.  Obviously you want to get to the bottom of the cause of the cough/shortness of breath and treat that, and not get dependent on the cough medicine temporarily masking the cough...

Good luck!! Hope she feels better soon.  I have been in her shoes, and it is not fun...even at age 31...

:)