Asthma Community
Latent TB

This patient support community is for discussions relating to asthma, asthma control, breathing difficulty, bronchodilators, children's asthma, drug allergies, exercise-induced asthma, house dust and indoor allergens, pets, school issues, and sports activity.

Latent TB

I had a positive skin test 5 years ago, but no active disease.I also have asthma.
Can a course of antibiotics actually completely kill the latent bacteria in the body, how does one know that latent tb is eradicated from the body, if that is possible at all. A researcher told me that tb cannot be eradicated from the body and as of today one can only prevent or cure active tb but after the cure of active tb one goes back in being a latent tb carrier. Could you tell what is really true here? Thank you very much.
I will not take a long and heavy course of antibiotics if all it does is nothing but keep me where I am already, with a latent infection for tb.
From what I understand, is that the longer your walk around with latent TB the less likely it will turn into the active form (symptoms present). You are not contagious with latent TB, however it still poses risks to others and to yourself. If it does turn symptomatic then you get become seriously ill (death included), especially because you also have asthma. Your doctor wants to prescribe antibiotics more as a preventative measure, which I think is prudent in your case. Like I said the longer you can keep it latent the better you are off in the future.  
The above response is not necessarily true.  My step-mother was "latent" for 45 years. When she had to go on meds for her rheumatoid arthritis, it triggered the TB and almost killed her.  So, while it remains latent, it is just that.  Once exposed to a trigger,  TB can go full course, and be deadly.