Asthma Expert Forum
Lung Capacity enabled me to take Metachlorine Challenge

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

I had a Metachlorine Challege a few weeks ago. I was told that you have to exhale for up to four seconds in order to allow the chemicals your system. I was only able to exhale for up to about 1.5 seconds and at max about 2 seconds. She said my inhalation was very weak and did not reach the peak that it should have. The machine supposively detected that I had more air in my system, so she thought I wasn't trying. But I gave it all I could. After 2 seconds of exhalation my air flow just stopped. It is very similar to how I breathe daily. I have to remind myself to breath, otherwise sometimes I don't, it really hurts to breathe especially if the heat is on or if it is really cold. But my air just won't come out and feels like my chest is always tight, my airways that is.
She gave me albuteral and my air was much more consistent I was able to exhale for up to 3 seconds.
What does this mean? I was able to breathe a little better with the inhalor, it was a big difference than before. But my heart was racing up to 135 for a few hours and I crashed on the bed for 2 hours when I got home.
What do you think this breathing issue is?
I am on a lot of medicines but I have noticed this breathing issue my entire life, it has just gradually gotten worse.
Karen
The best way to sort out your breathing problems would be to have a doctor conduct a good physical exam of your lungs and then order pulmonary function tests (PFTs), with lung volumes and with inspiratory and expiratory flow-volume loops.

The positive response to albuterol suggests that you may have asthma.  From your description, there is a good possibility that the results of the methacholine challenge are invalid.

Good luck.