Asthma Expert Forum
Lung Capacity enabled me to take Metachlorine Challenge
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Lung Capacity enabled me to take Metachlorine Challenge

I had a Metachlorine Challege a few weeks ago. I was told that you have to exhale for up to four seconds in order to allow the chemicals your system. I was only able to exhale for up to about 1.5 seconds and at max about 2 seconds. She said my inhalation was very weak and did not reach the peak that it should have. The machine supposively detected that I had more air in my system, so she thought I wasn't trying. But I gave it all I could. After 2 seconds of exhalation my air flow just stopped. It is very similar to how I breathe daily. I have to remind myself to breath, otherwise sometimes I don't, it really hurts to breathe especially if the heat is on or if it is really cold. But my air just won't come out and feels like my chest is always tight, my airways that is.
She gave me albuteral and my air was much more consistent I was able to exhale for up to 3 seconds.
What does this mean? I was able to breathe a little better with the inhalor, it was a big difference than before. But my heart was racing up to 135 for a few hours and I crashed on the bed for 2 hours when I got home.
What do you think this breathing issue is?
I am on a lot of medicines but I have noticed this breathing issue my entire life, it has just gradually gotten worse.
Thanks
Karen