Asthma Expert Forum
My 3 yr old son has trouble breathing

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

My 3 yr old son has trouble breathing

My 3 yr old son was just admitted to the hospital for difficulty breathing.  Here is a brief medical history on him.  As newborn had TTN..6 wkold-admitted to hospital with croup...10 week old - adm. with RSV..1 yr old - adm. with RSV...1 yr old - adm. with bronchitis..2 yr old - adm. with neumonia, then for colapsed lung, then for double pneumonia. Everytime it was between Nov. and Feb.  Then, on Sat. Sept. 8th he developed a fever with no other symptoms.  The fever lasted until Sun. evening.  I started giving him albuteral and took him to the doctors on Mon.The doc said his lungs were clear and the fever gone but had ulcers in his mouth.  She thought he had hand, foot and mouth. Later that day he woke up from a nap I noticed that he seemed to be grunting when he was breathing.  I gave him 2 puffs of albuteral.  The grunting continued to get worse and he started to complain of chest pain (in the diaphram area) and his nostrils were flairing so I took him to the E.R.  On the way there his speech seemed very labored and the breathing was getting worse.  And then, he just froze!  He couldn't breathe in or out and he couldn't speak.  It reminded me of seeing someone get the wind knocked out of them.  This lasted for about 30 to 45 seconds and then he slowly started to begin to breathe again.  Then 5 minutes later he was screaming in pain and holding his chest.  I got to the E.R. and he was breathing better.  They said he had a really high heart rate and his chest was retracting and his fever was at 102.5.  They ran bloodwork and did a chest X-ray while we were there and everything came back normal except his C-reactive Protein level was 7.    His discharge papers say he had an URI.    

I would suggest seeing a pediatric pulmonologist to evaluate your son.  Having this many respiratory problems over such a short period of time warrants further investigation.  Many times children with asthma have a very similar course and are diagnosed with respiratory syntactical virus (RSV), pneumonia etc.  Seeing a specialist should be able to give you some answers.
Sorry, I left out the question.  Can someone point me in the direction of how to find out what is wrong with my son?????