Asthma Community
Natural or Alternate remedy?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to asthma, asthma control, breathing difficulty, bronchodilators, children's asthma, drug allergies, exercise-induced asthma, house dust and indoor allergens, pets, school issues, and sports activity.

Natural or Alternate remedy?

I am on Albuteral and Symbacort.  I ran out the the Sym. and my asthma is out of control.  I'm having trouble talking and feel like the wind is knocked out of me.  I really can't afford $180 per month for the Sym. so I have not filled the script.  I make too much money to qualify for govt programs, but I am on many meds per month and have to cut back somewhere.  I bought the Albuteral in Mexico last month, but the rate I am using it I am afraid I will run out and not have it for a really bad attack.  Is there a cheaper, healthier remedy for ashma and allergies?  
My husband ran out and bought the Symbacort and it took all day, but I am finally starting to breathe normally.  It cost $186!!  I am  going to use it half the time and try to make it last. This is crazyness!

Lori
I don't know of any less expensive medications or treatments, sorry.
I'm glad that your husband bought the medication. The price is outrageous though. Does the company that manufactures symbicort offer any coupons or programs to help lower the cost? Some companies do. It might be worth a look.
i have the same issues except i take advair which is 300. dollars a month and i recently lost my ins...when i don't have my advair the only other thing that will help is prednisone which is much cheaper but short term.ask the doctor for samples that is what i do.also there is a program briges to access that your doctors can help you with. it is very scary to depend on something that helps you breath so good.
The Yoga Pranayam (breathing exercises) will  help with asthma  problems.You will notice the difference in days and will need less inhalers.Over the longer term your health will improve and the need for medication will decrease.Pranayam boosts the immune system naturally. Come back to report your progress, so others may benefit.
Build up your timing gradually. If you feel tired or dizzy, stop and resume after 1 minute.

Bhastrika - Take a long deep breath into the lungs(chest not tummy) via the nose and then completely breathe out through the nose. Duration upto 5 minutes.

Kapalbhati -(Do it before eating) Push air forcefully out through the nose about once per second. Stomach will itself go in(contract in). The breathing in(through the nose) will happen automatically. Establish a rhythm and do for 10 to 30 minutes twice a day. Not for pregnant women. Seriously ill people do it gently.

Anulom Vilom –
Close your right nostril with thumb and deep breath-in through left nostril  
then – close left nostril with two fingers and breath-out through right nostril  
then -keeping the left nostril closed  deep breath-in through right nostril
then - close your right nostril with thumb and breath-out through left nostril.
This is one cycle of anulom vilom.
Repeat this cycle for 15 to 30  minutes twice a day).
You can do this before breakfast/lunch/dinner or before bedtime or in bed.Remember to take deep long breaths into the lungs.You can do this while sitting on floor or chair or lying in bed.

Bhramri Pranayam -Close eyes. Close ears with thumb, index finger on forehead, and rest three fingers on base of nose touching eyes. Breathe in through nose. And now breathe out through nose while humming like a bee.
Duration : 5 to 12  times

Once you are better, continue the pranayam once a day.
Be patient, as the benefits will show over a period of weeks.Only by doing you will benefit
and feel good because you are helping your body.Those who say I have tried everything....
will be amazed at the result of doing pranayam.