Asthma Community
Need some help

This patient support community is for discussions relating to asthma, asthma control, breathing difficulty, bronchodilators, children's asthma, drug allergies, exercise-induced asthma, house dust and indoor allergens, pets, school issues, and sports activity.

Need some help

I posted this on the other site but I taked to the America Lung folks and they said it sounds like Asthma. I will know in a day or so I guess. As my post says I have had this cough over the years but not with this tickle Thanks
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just had an X-ray and it said I could have COPD. It said showed  hyperlucent and Mild Hyperinflation . I have a dry cough that presents mostly when I talk and in the evening time. I do not feel bad nor have a temp. been almost 4 weeks now. I have had a similar cough over the years but this one also comes with a bad tickle in my throat.
I am older but in great shape. I can walk 2 miles without any problem,swim laps etc.
I  am going to take a PFT soon, any thought as to what this dry cough could be?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

The ‘bad tickle’ could be a post nasal drip. Your symptoms could be due to a post nasal drip, which can cause a chronic irritation in the throat. This could be due to a sinus infection, a cold or a chronic allergy. It could be sinusitis, if it is accompanied by nasal stuffiness and facial pain or pressure. Post nasal drip could also be due to allergens. These are substances like pollen, dust, animal dander, certain foods, insect venoms and certain medications. Exposure to allergens causes a runny nose with a resultant post nasal drip where secretions from the nose go backward into the throat and irritate causing cough. Cough is a protective mechanism by the body as it helps to prevent infections. Please discuss this with your doctor am sure he will provide further assistance.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Thank you for your reply. I just got back from taking a PFT  my reading are as follows

Pre Bronchodilator

FEV1- PRED=113%
FEV6-PRED=110%
FEV1/FEV6=102%
PEF---------     = 98%

With the exception of PFE they are all above and it says NORMAL With no help from using Bronchodilator

Don't know what the PEF was  that was the only one slightly below.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

The normal spirometry values are FVC-80-120% and FEV-80-120%. Also, FEV1/FVC ratio, is a calculated ratio used in the diagnosis of obstructive and restrictive diseases. A diagnosis of COPD is made when the FEV1/FVC ratio is less than 70%. If we see your values they are well within the normal values. PEF or peak expiratory flow is the maximal speed achieved during the maximally forced expiration. It used to see the response to bronchodilators, since your value is normal, it is not further responding to bronchodilators. This value is usually used in the follow up or day-to-day management of COPD.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Thanks a lot. Don't know why my X-rays show that hyperinflated I can swim,walk miles, and do almost anything without to much trouble. Anyway My Doc said don't worry about it you lungs are functioning fine. Whew!!!
Thanks again for your insight.
Welcome to our Asthma Community!

C~