Asthma Community
PEAK FLOW METER

This patient support community is for discussions relating to asthma, asthma control, breathing difficulty, bronchodilators, children's asthma, drug allergies, exercise-induced asthma, house dust and indoor allergens, pets, school issues, and sports activity.

PEAK FLOW METER

I've been thinking about getting a peak flow meter but I'm not sure which one does any one have any recommendations?
Here is a link to some inexpensive ones.  The unit is available on amazon, but I don't know about the soft ware.  This is the one a friend recommends - the Piko-1 pocket.

Maybe this month buy the unit and next month the software.

http://shopping.nspirehealth.com/ecommerce/CatalogSubCategoryDisplay.aspx?CID=44

I hope that helps you.
Hi, peak flow monitoring is a great way to track your asthma.  Some doctors are getting away for usuing peak flow and having their patients monitor symptoms such as cough, sore throat, runny nose.  Any respiratory symptom that is capable of triggering asthma.

I would recommend that you talk to your doctor about getting a peak flow meter.  Most have them available for their patients for around $20 US.  A true peak flow meter is just a tube with a sliding device that measures how quickly you can push air out of your lungs.

I have some friends your have obtained spitometers.  This is a computerized device similar to the one you use at your doctor's office.  It gives a graph of your expriation over 3 - 5 seconds.   I can get you info on what they use, but I can't find it at the moment.  These devices are a lot more expensive.

Good luck finding the info you want.
Thanks for the info.
I found several on Amazon.com and the one I like is this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Microlife-PF-100-Meter-Spirometry/dp/B000BH8TUA/ref=pd_bxgy_hpc_img_b

But you have to buy the software seprately
http://www.amazon.com/PF100-Peak-Analyzer-Software-Cable/dp/B000UBL0XK/ref=sr_1_7?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1287945422&sr=1-7

But I can't afford it would a simple plastic one be just as good to use?
Like this one:    http://www.amazon.com/Personal-Best-Full-Range-Meter/dp/B00123KIDS/ref=pd_sim_hpc_34
I use "Assess." It's inexpensive and gives the most important information. There are more expensive digital ones. In fact I have one, but don't use it.

I hope that helps you.
Thank you so much for the link and all the information youv'e sent. I'm still not sure which one to pick but now I have a better idea of what to look for than I did before.
Thank you for your repily I have heard that a lot of people say that it's the less expensive one's people use the most. So I'll bee looking at the less expensive mechanical ones.
Yes, most people do use the simple tube models.  The friend that uses the Piko-1 pocket only uses it when she is sick.  When you can buy a simple model for $20 US verses a computerized model for $60+, the cheaper model gives you the information you really need.  You really just want to monitor your breathing (watch trends of increasing and decreasing peak flows).  The plastic models are excellent for that.  Few people really need the additional information that can be gained from the electronic models.

If you haven't found it, MedHelp has an excellend Asthma Tracker that will graph your peak flows and keep track of symptoms and medication use.  I have been printing this out to take to my doctor lately.  It has been very helpful for them to see where I can be compared to where I am.  It also has a journal feature where you can write any notes, thoughts or comments.  I keep track of things not on the regular tracker, make notes of doctor's visits, and any other thought that might be helpful.  I also whine from time to time there so I have mine set to private.  This is a very useful tool.  

Feel better.
The simple model, which is accurate by the way, tells you how much air you are getting. This allows you to adjust your medication accordingly, or warns you to call your doctor if the level drops below what is normal for you.
Thank you for the information, I am useing that tracker feel free to look me up my tracker is public. when you see the Peak Flow nubers keep in mind that I'm just useing a Pulse Ox meter because it's all I have I bought that for my asthma to I think it another good tool to have as well
I  haven't had the money to get my Peak Flow Meter yet I hope to get some money together soon, truly hard times these days.

Keep well
I got a pulse ox as well.  I got mine to monitor my heart rate which was running really high and causing a lot of dizziness at the time.  It has come in handy when I have been sick and couldn't really take a peak flow.  A couple weeks ago O2 sat was dipping into the mid 80's if I laid on my side.  I stopped liing on my side for a while.  

Keep in mind that the simple peak flow meters will run about $20 at your allergist's office.  They really give you enough information to monitor your asthma.  I know how it goes though.  Sometimes you don't have $20 extra in your budget.  

I will check out your tracker. Pulse ox should be around 98.  Anything below 90 be sure to get to a doctor - either yours, an urgent care, or an ER.

Take care.
You definitely need to see a doctor very soon.  Those pulse ox readings are way too low.  I get breathing treatments at both my GP's and allergist's offices if the reading is below 96%.  You haven't been over 90% much at all lately.  A low O2 saturation makes the heart work really hard and can lead to heart damage, mainly an enlarged heart.  

Urgent care clinics should still be open in your area.  I suggest you get to one.

Take care of yourself.
normal peak flow meter is enough, use it in morning and evening, 2 times a day. hope you can control your asthma better!