Asthma Expert Forum
Perplexed at chronic cough, sinus drainage, and now a nose bleed! Enou...

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

Perplexed at chronic cough, sinus drainage, and now a nose bleed! Enough already!

I am 27 weeks pregnant. I have suffered with allergie problems since spring started and have had a cough since the first of March. I normally have allergie problems even when I am not pregnant. I cough so hard that with being pregnant and the baby on the bladder that I urinate myself, and my stomach muscles are sore. I have been to the Dr. They first told me to take Claritan D because I was so stuffed up. Then they switched me to Zyrtech D and now that my head isn't stuffed up, I am on regular zyrtech. The problem is I still have lots of drainage. I have been diagnosed with asthma several years ago, but haven't been having problems with it as long as I stay away from the stuff that will put me in an attack such as cigg. smoke. Tonight I woke up and started the typical coughing like I do each morning when I get up and off and on through the day. I blew my nose and had a lot of blood. If I take a deep breath I cough more. I have been also suffering with a lot of acid reflux with this pregnancy and take zantac for it. The Dr. Prescribed me Tessalon for the coughing. It doesn't seem to help and I am afraid of hurting the baby with too many meds. I have had it with the coughing, sore muscles, sinus drainage, and wet pants! Anyone have any ideas.
1 Comment
Hi, I'm 23 weeks pregnant and I have almost the same frustrations as you do. I cough so hard that I wet my pants and get so frustrated. I have constant post nasal drip. I have allergy and asthma history(and been thru several allergist). My husband finally had enough and he brought me to Mayo Clinic. They did pulmonary exam, blood test, etc.
Finally I got the major break. I got diagnosed with cough variant asthma and of course severe allergies. There are different type of asthma & cough variant asthma may cause severe cough like allergies with no wheezing. Also you may test normal in breathing but when they put asthma med my breathing imporved considerable. That's how he found out my asthma is back.

My new allergist did not recommend starting shots since I'm pregnand but the INTAL AND ALBUTEROL INHALER HELPS A LOT. I finally got a good sleep. I still have post nasal drip and cough every now and then, due to that but I feel a big relief.  
Hope this will help. YOu take care and see your allergist