Asthma Community
Possible asthma in son? Question about PFT...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to asthma, asthma control, breathing difficulty, bronchodilators, children's asthma, drug allergies, exercise-induced asthma, house dust and indoor allergens, pets, school issues, and sports activity.

My son is 5. Back in the spring he started making this really loud noise, a cross between a throat clear and a cough. It lasted a couple months, got better. Then this summer, it came back. Somedays are worse than others. We tried allergy meds (Flonase and Claritin) and it didn't get any better. We were back to the doctor who listened to his chest and said that she could hear a definite wheeze. She's given us the blue puffer to use when he's in a bad spell, and wants us using the peak flow meter to check before/after numbers, tracking how often he needs it etc. For his age/size, his "norm" would be 145, his best is 170 that he's blown. Based on that, he is often down in the yellow. At those times I'll give him the puffer and it definitely brings him back up into green. However, sometimes when he's having those "spells" his numbers are in the green. So can you have asthma, and still at times be blowing normal numbers?
I can't answer your specific questions, but I wanted to point out that one cause of asthma is acid reflux.  It can be hard to detect by the patient, but might be worth looking into.  I would definitely try cutting dairy out of his diet for a few weeks to see if symptoms improve.  
He sounds as if he has excessive mucus. Has his doctor suggested using a mucus thinner? I am often gunked up mucus and get the same odd results with the peak flow meter that your son does.

As to what can cause the mucus, it might be related to sugars and starches. This could foster in an overgrowth of the yeast Candida albicans, the same organism that causes thrush. In short, diet might be implicated. .
I went through the same symptoms  for the last ten years and i am still suffering  with lower severity  now as the allergy  is chronic  disease .
Living on daily dose  of firstly seritide  followed  by flexitide  and in acute  cases ventolin  has improved  my conditions but now i stopped  them for the last 3 months  and the wheezing returned  back mildly   and also  the nightly  mucous .
you need to know what is irritating the allergy.
I have asthma  but my peakflows are normal some  say there are different types of asthma