Asthma Community
Productive Cough

This patient support community is for discussions relating to asthma, asthma control, breathing difficulty, bronchodilators, children's asthma, drug allergies, exercise-induced asthma, house dust and indoor allergens, pets, school issues, and sports activity.

Productive Cough

The doctors all SAY I have asthma. I'm 63 years of age, and have never had asthma before so I don't understand how it presents. I've never had an asthma attack, I don't have shortness of breath. My main problem with it is that I have a lot of mucus in my lungs...A LOT, constantly, like 24/7. Usually, it looks like raw egg white. Sometimes, it has some yellow color to it. It does not MAKE me cough, but I feel so full of stuff that I can't help trying to get rid of it. It NEVER goes away, no matter how much I cough. Sometimes it doesn't come up, it just feels like it redistributes. It gets worse when I lie down. It feels and sounds different depending on which side I lying on. I sleep through the night, but when I wake up in the morning, I begin coughing and mucus shoots out of my throat like a volcano.

The doctor gave me Prednisone twice, and it worked like a charm, but I never got it again because she was afraid of the side effects (and so was I). I've tried many inhalers, but they all took my voice away. I now use Ventolin, but that does very little to help. I'm so afraid that there's something else wrong with me, or soon will be. Doctors sometimes don't take the time to be thorough. One doctor didn't even examine me; she just heard me breath and said I had asthma. How could she have known that? It could've been anything. It could've been pulmonary edema, which I was first tested for.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello, there is an entity called Cough-variant asthma. It’s usually a dry, hacking cough that may worsen following exercise, talking, laughing or crying. It is not usually associated with wheezing or shortness of breath. But you can have tightness In the chest. Pulmonary function tests may be normal or reveal a mild obstructive pattern. When pulmonary function tests are normal, a positive methacholine challenge helps support the diagnosis of asthma.  Your doctors could have made a diagnosis based on these tests. If the ventolin inhaler is not helping, then you can discuss with your doctor about inhaled corticosteroids as they are effective in controlling the symptoms of Cough-variant asthma. Regards.

Thank you for the response. I understand the Cough-variant asthma, BUT mine is not a dry cough. It is extremely productive. I have done extensive research online, but cannot find an asthma symptom like that. When I discuss it with doctors, even pulmonologists, I don't get definitive answers to the mucus issue, and it worries me constantly.

I was taking Enalipril at one time, and I found out (from internet research, NOT a doctor) that it was giving a chronic cough. I lost a job because of that cough. Now I'm researching to see if any of the meds I'm currently taking are giving me this productive cough. I take Doxsazosin, Furosimide, Lorsartan, Carvedilol and Hydralazine. I've been taking these for years with no problem, so I can't imagine that they're the problem.

I will ask about the inhaled corticosteroids, but why oh why did it take YOU to suggest that to me. It might not work, but not one doctor had suggested that to me before. No disrespect to you, but I don't think the medical profession is what it used to be. Thanks again.
Hi I recieved a message fron the person above who didn't take time to read my message properly.  It sounds more like copd to be honest  I have brittle asthma and my symptoms are entirely different.  I cough. My chest is tight. I have an attack when I laugh or cry . They usually prescribe prednisone when you have a infection.  If your mucus is clear to yellow it dosnt sound like a infection.  Id get a second opinion as some doctors cant be bothered.  Ive been through many before I found someone who understood me and thoroughly checked me over. When they did they found other problems so if your still concerned id see some one else. Out of curiosity. Do you smoke?
Thank you for your answer. No, I do not smoke, and I don't have a hard time breathing. I just have tons of mucus in my lungs that I would like explained. I never have an out and out attack, but sometimes I have less mucus, but it never goes completely away. Since there are so many different asthmas out there, I would just like to have a name for mine. Like I said, I get so worried that it's going to become something further debilitating or life threatening. I will of course take your advice, and DEMAND more testing regardless of what the Dr. THINKS it is.