Asthma Community
Pulmicort Flexhaler for 4 1/2 year old

This patient support community is for discussions relating to asthma, asthma control, breathing difficulty, bronchodilators, children's asthma, drug allergies, exercise-induced asthma, house dust and indoor allergens, pets, school issues, and sports activity.

Pulmicort Flexhaler for 4 1/2 year old

Hello :-).  My son has asthma which manifests itself in a cough and often shows up during/after colds (he doesn't appear to have any problems with breathing in enough air... no emergencies, thank goodness).  He takes Singulair every night, Albuterol as needed and Benadryl as needed (all as suggested by his doctor).  He recently had a cold and his asthma flared up.   We gave him albuterol via his nebulizer 3 times daily for around 6 days (his ped said 4-7 days).    Since the cough wouldn't go away (usually occuring after running around and at night, although sometimes just "on its own") I took him back to his doctor and she said it was indeed his asthma and gave us a Pulmicort Flexhaler, 180mcg.  She told me (and put it on his asthma plan) to have him use the Pulmicort Flexhaler twice, two times a day and to try it for a month  Since then, I've read online that the Flexhaler should be given to children who are 4 with extreme caution and I've read that 180 mcg is the typically recommended dose to start off with.  
     After using the pulmicort for less than a day, my son's coughing has decreased to the point where it is almost gone and we're all very happy about that :-).  While I am VERY happy about his fantastic improvement, because I want him to be well and I want to protect his sweet little lungs, I am wondering if the dose that I am giving him is too much and is in the wrong form (flexhaler instead of the nebulizer type) based upon what I've read online.  Do you have any thoughts about using a Pulmicort Flexhaler with a 4 1/2 year old and at the maximum dosing level?  
Thank you so much for your help!  
You describing your son was like hearing my life told to me. From the asthma problems with running around, colds or any other sickness, or sometimes just because. I dont have tons of trouble actually getting air, its always a cough. I take albuterol for fast acting relief. Sometimes I need benedryl to help.
Granted I am not 4 and I'm not exactly sure about the specifics of that being risky or not, I am 17 and have taken Pulmicort on and off since I was 8. My asthma hasn't worsened at all since then and when I'm on it I feel much better and have less asthma realted problems all together.
I know it's not what you were asking for really but I hope it puts you at ease a little.
We dont tend to use pulmicort over here so much which is neither here nor ther but my convern is that your  little boy is using nebulisers. Are these used freely in the U.S.A
All the latest research would suggest that a bronchodilator given via a large volume spacer is as effective and safer. it might be worth looking up some stuff about it.
hi i woke up at 6:15 this morning and couldn't breath i took my inhaler 3 times and still was gasping for air i tried to take a drink of tea and it felt lke it was not going to stay down after about 15 min of gaspins and weezing i finally started to catch my breath but i still the slightest movement make me jump and i start to gasp again can someone hep me i need to know is this just another basic attack or is it something else and should i be worried??? please help thnk u
My daughter was given the flexhaler when she was 3, but we do have middle of the night gasping for air emergencies.  She had done 2 pulmicort breathing treaments throught the nebulizer a day.  The doctor gave it to us to make things easier(not so many breathing treatments).  She sees a asthma and allergy specialist and i trust him more than her pediatrician.  I would say it was okay but as a mom alwyas trust your gut!!!  Hope that helped!!!