Asthma Community
Reoccurring croup of 6 yr old with asthma

This patient support community is for discussions relating to asthma, asthma control, breathing difficulty, bronchodilators, children's asthma, drug allergies, exercise-induced asthma, house dust and indoor allergens, pets, school issues, and sports activity.

My son was diagnosed with asthma after having pneumonia twice in a six month period after his recheck from coming out of the hospital at age two. He has been on everything imaginable from Flovent, alvesco, to singular and nasal sprays, albulteral treatments,predinisone(oral) and now nebulizer treatments(duo neb and pulmacort). He has an asthma specialist which is great but I feel there is something he is missing. My son has been through multiple tests to check for allegeries and cystic fibrosis and all were negative. We just seen the doctor two weeks ago and he had a slight cold so we thought put him back on alvesco 160mg bid and no relieve. He went from year round to seasonal back to year round asthma. A mother knows when something isn't right and having croup consecutively from October thru December and now again, and all onsets with croup are exactly a month apart when it comes back. I worry about the long term effects of the steroids and other medications he has been on. Typically every three to four weeks my son comes done with another illness.  He is normally sick from end of september throught the beginning of march. I myself was born premature(@ 24 weeks) only health issues is a heart defect yet my son was born premature (@ 5 and half weeks early and he seems to have more illness them I ever did as a child growing up).

Sorry for the length of post. Just so hard to see your only child be rather sick. Any suggestions or recommendations to what direction should I head towards next would be gladly accepted.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and sorry for the late reply.

Understand your predicament mam. The number of children having asthmatic attacks is on the increase now. This, I personally attribute to pollution. The way in which to tackle asthma is at two levels, at the preventive level and at the therapeutic level.

For Prevention Steroid inhalers are used regularly for prevention of attacks. The steroid content is very low in an inhaler and only acts locally. Use will prevent the causative allergens from triggering an attack. Repeated cold with nasal blockage can trigger attacks. Keep the nostrils clear of blockages by using nasal drops or sprays and try steam inhalation.

For therapy: During the attack, asthalin inhalers are used. Asthalin is used only during the attack and is not used for prevention.

The goal of therapy must be to keep the child symptom free even during exercise. The child must carry on all normal activities and physical activity will increase his appetite and in turn, his weight. The good news is that children who develop it early, outgrow the problem early too.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
My son had asthma at 2 diagnosed at three.  At that age it is very difgivult to control asthma for several different reasons.  At that age they catch every cold, bug, and virus exposed to so they always seem sick.  The colds stop up their nose cause drainage making asthma flare up.  The nebulizer should be your best friend.  DS did Pulmicout .25 at that age twice a day as a preventative then used the albuterol as needed with flare ups.  The key is do not miss your morning and evening treatments also if your son seems to hsve a runny nose clear it out as much as possible.  Be prepared to give your emergency meds (albuterol) if you notice his voice is tighter or he is taking short or rapid breaths.    Getting the rescue meds in timeand taking them for a day or two about every 4 hours (what DS asthma doctor reccomended) usually heps in keeing my son off predinosolone.