Asthma Community
Respiratory problems

This patient support community is for discussions relating to asthma, asthma control, breathing difficulty, bronchodilators, children's asthma, drug allergies, exercise-induced asthma, house dust and indoor allergens, pets, school issues, and sports activity.

Respiratory problems

I am 34 yrs old, I have had asthma all of my life. Currently I am having trouble expelling my respirations. I feel like I cant get all the air out . I cant breathe well, I do have allergies and sinus problems. No fever, little cough with copious amts of sputum. What else could this be?
You are in a bad asthma flare and need to see your doctor about increasing your meds to get you over it.  If you have a nebulizer, using that several times a day would help greatly.

Feel better.
These two pranayam will help your asthma. Do the kapalbhati for 5 minutes, to expel the stale air, and then do the anulom vilom for 20-30 minutes, to oxygenate the lungs.You will feel the benefit in days. Your feedback after 3 weeks and 3 months will help others.
Build up your timing gradually.If you feel tired or dizzy, stop and resume after one minute.
Kapalbhati pranayam -(Do it before eating) Push air forcefully out through the nose about once per second. Stomach will itself go in(contract in). The breathing in(through the nose) will happen automatically. Establish a rhythm and do for 20 to 30 minutes twice a day. Children under 15 years – do 5 to 10 minutes twice a day.
Not for pregnant women. Seriously ill people do it gently.
Anulom Vilom pranayam–
Close your right nostril with thumb and deep breath-in through left nostril  
then – close left nostril with two fingers and breath-out through right nostril  
then -keeping the left nostril closed  deep breath-in through right nostril
then - close your right nostril with thumb and breath-out through left nostril.
This is one cycle of anulom vilom.
Repeat this cycle for 15 to 30  minutes twice a day.
Children under 15 years – do 5 to 10 minutes twice a day.
You can do this before breakfast/lunch/dinner or before bedtime or in bed.Remember to take deep long breaths into the lungs.You can do this while sitting on floor or chair or lying in bed.

Continue the pranayam for life to stay healthy.